Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Letter from Joni Eareckson Tada

Letter from Joni Eareckson Tada

While looking for my sun glasses in my dresser I found this letter I received from Joni Eareckson Tada while I was still in the hospital. Then, I didn't know who she was. I showed my physical therapist the letter and she took it to show other therapists I received this letter from her. I was half way through my stay at Lorain Community Hospital; postmarked June 5th, 1987. I left the hospital August 30th, 1987.

She states, "Still, it's hard to think about living another 20 years in a wheelchair. But ..." I past that point already. I am going on 23 years now. It is a way of life now. For others who are fresh out the hospital it gives hope.

My real name was removed from the letter and envelop for privacy.

titanium4motion

Cool saw her movie about her accident when I was still in school.
    She's helped thousands of people & paints beautiful pictures with her mouth.
    I watch her on her tv show every week.
    How did she know about you?

Somebody left a copy of that (to me, appallingly serene, spiritual, blahblahblah bs) book when I was in rehab.

To date, nobody has confessed.

I gotta hand it to her-she apparently knows that book doesn't set well with some of the newly injured, judging by her letter. Nice of her to write. My rehab roomie had a letter from CR, she was a C2 injury also.

Thank God I found John Hockenberry. HIS book got me through rehab. I required more grit and anger than Joni was laying down, to keep me driven. I needed to believe that failure was not an option. Not that Joni was a failure, she is just so darned accepting. And grateful. Hockenberry gave me sex, drugs and rock'n'roll, and a truly exciting life to aspire to. Joni gave me church.

Still, nice of her to contact you.

I got a letter from Larry Flint when I was first paralyzed He said Welcome to the F in club my friend.

But, ya seriously I always liked everything I've read about Joni, she is a pretty amazing woman even though I dont believe in the stuff she does. I think worship is a waste of time, I'd rather dedicate my time to Sailing and Handcycling. to each their own I guess.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Joni should take her gimp accepting butt and get a real job. She preys on the believing disabled as much as all the other send me every dime you have tele-evangelists. She needs a real job not a tax free one. JMHO
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Joni handles her injury the best way she knows how...if worship works for her...great. No reason to be bitter against her because it isn't your bag. She sent a letter to my son too...never asked for anything in return for what it's worth. In the 1960's when she was injured, people believed the doctors when they were told, get used to the chair...it's your future. Wait...what am I saying...doctors still say that!
    Luke 5:24

interesting this should come up now. a very dear friend of mine recently ran into joni inadvertently and stood in line to talk to her about me. joni asked for my address, wrote, sent me a couple of things. it was very nice of her to take the time.

i, too, was given the book, etc. in rehab. in fact, joni rehabbed where i did. was too soon for me, too. her recent letter to me and enclosures meant a lot. esp. the dvd where her pain is evident and she talks about taking her w/c to heaven w/her when she dies and she says something like, now god, you can send that thing to hell (meaning chair). it's a good dvd.

and no, she didn't ask for money.

just out of the blue, I read her book while in high school. Who knew I'd need that information 25 years later.
    BeeBee

I received three copies while in rehab. I'm looking for a fourth to raise my reading table.

VQ that is too freakin funny.

b