Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pregnancy questions T-12's

YAY!! I'm so excited you are already talking baby talk!! You and Steve will sure make a beautiful baby.. hurry up and get preggers...haha jk.
    God is good

Hi Chelley,

I'm a t-12 - t-9 and have had two healthy children. I was 21 and 25 and had been a para since age 12. Bowel and bladder weren't too bad but during the later months you can't bend over or things will leak! I just carried on as usual and wore pads for bladder leaking. I was really worried about the episiotomy. My first doctor told me an episiotomy would heal better than a rip, so I went ahead with it and it healed just fine. I was able to push more than the doctor thought possible, so the delivery was a normal vaginal delivery.

Now, chasing those toddlers is a whole other story!

Good luck

Edited to add that I was not on any meds at that time. I was doing everything natural.
    Last edited by Ivyella; 09-03-2009 at 05:06 PM.
    I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and
    hunger.

I have three children but they are old now, 27, 24 and 13. I gained too much weight so be carefully with what you eat. With the one 24 I started to have a lot of UVI and I am not gotten rid of them since.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by Ivyella View Post
    Hi Chelley,

I'm a t-12 - t-9 and have had two healthy children. I was 21 and 25 and had been a para since age 12. Bowel and bladder weren't too bad but during the later months you can't bend over or things will leak! I just carried on as usual and wore pads for bladder leaking. I was really worried about the episiotomy. My first doctor told me an episiotomy would heal better than a rip, so I went ahead with it and it healed just fine. I was able to push more than the doctor thought possible, so the delivery was a normal vaginal delivery.

Now, chasing those toddlers is a whole other story!

Good luck

Edited to add that I was not on any meds at that time. I was doing everything natural.
    Wow so you were able to push them out? I think my abdominals are pretty strong but worried if i was fooling myself and thinking they were strong but not strong enough for that. Were you ever on any meds prior to pregnancy b/c of your sci? So you didnt take any pain meds during labor? Could you feel the labor pains?

The uterus is innervated for sensation by T10, so it is likely if your injury is at that level or lower that you would feel contractions. It is not necessary to have a C-section regardless of your level of injury unless you would have needed one when AB (ie, fetal distress or small pelvis).

(KLD)

I'm a quad but have had two children post-SCI - you definitely don't need to push, mine were both vaginal births.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.