Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about VR appointment.... What do you think??

Worried about VR appointment.... What do you think??

Ok, so just really quick, I have run into money issues with paying for school and loans etc. Anyway, I have an appointment with VR next Tuesday but I keep thinking that they aren't going to let me finish my undergrad, that they are just going to want to place me in some job like answering phones or whatnot. I won't need help for my grad degree because I will be able to take out loans but because I never did the loan forgivness for the program I was unable to finish I do not have those federal loans avaliable to me anymore. Should I be worried about being told to just go find any old job or should they be able to help with the undergrad payments??

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

"I want to be.... I NEED......in order to work at what I WANT to do".

VR can't make you do anything. Make sure you get EVERYTHING in writing.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Thanks Liz!!! What do you mean by everything in writing? Are you talking about what they say they are going to provide or something else??

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Paid tuition ...

Keep in mind what degree you want to pursue. Be prepared to answer the questions, “What kind of job will you get with this degree?” And/or “What career do you want to go into?” Good answer, “An accessible career!” Be ready with a plan and good answers. How are your grades? If you generally have a good GPA and future plan of what field of customized employment you want to go in, VR will pay for your education plus more.

Why didn’t VR pay for your initial college courses?

BVR in Ohio picked up the tab for two associates degrees all expenses paid including books, computer equipment, workstation, titanium wheelchair, shower chair and van modifications; lift, swivel seat, hand controls and remote starter not once but twice for me (Second time was when I was employed.).

I also heard Ohio BVR will buy a man suit for a job interview if you can justify it, even home modifications. I once read a lady purchase a two story home with a basement and told BVR she wanted to work from home and BVR paid for here full house to be accessible. Not a bad idea!

I found federal tax dollars to pay for my under grad degree too. All expenses paid. There’s millions of dollars out there to pay for college tuition that is not spent every year for people with disabilities to go to college or university to pursue an accessible career. You have to look for it. It’s out there believe me!

titanium4motion

From other threads I have read some members have stated that their VR counselor said they were "too disabled" to work. Some of had other issues as well. If ANY counselor says anything remotely like this have them put it in writing before you leave the office.

Don't be anxious, there is no reason to be.

You'll bring your transcripts, you have good grades.

They'll give you a list of stuff they will require (dr. notes, bank statements etc).
    Be persistent and professional. You are not begging. VR is there in order for YOU to ACHIEVE your goals.

They may not pay for everything but every penny counts!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

Be mean if necessary. Also, tell whoever you see that you won't be back six months later only to answer the same fucking questions you did today.

My goal/plan- To teach music at the university level.... currently pursuing my BME degree and going to follow that up with my MM to teach at the university level.

My grades - Are quite good. I have a 3.6 GPA

I didn't ask VR to help pay for my gen eds because I took them at the community college and was able to pay for that with my SSDI since I lived in district.

As far as what they told me to bring,
    * A list of previous jobs
    * References
    * Proof of SSDI payments
    * Doctors names/numbers/etc
    *photo id

I think that was it, I wrote it down but the sheet is in the other room. Does this seem like a lot or does this seem reasonable?

Thanks so much for making me feel better. I hate relying on others which is why I want to finish my plan and get a job in what I want to do .

Becky
    since 1/3/04

paperwork seems quite reasonable

We're in the same area so hopefully this is applicable to you too. The paperwork you mentioned sounds very close to what I had to provide. So far, VR has paid for the first 3 years of my undergrad degree including full tuition and a portion of food/dorm residence. However, once I moved off campus they lowered my residence assistance and cut out the food allowance. Luckily, I had even gotten them to cover the cost of modifications to make my van accessible. As others have stressed, it is all about word choice. As long as you connect the dots from your career aspirations to receiving assistance, there shouldn't be a problem. One exception might be, as it was in my case, you can not have over $2,000 in bank accounts, cd's, bonds, cash, etc.

VR stuff is really tricky. It seems to all depend on what counselor you get. Yet, if you're not satisfied with the answers one gives you, request to see another.

Hope it goes well for you,

Kate
    Don't wish for it, work for it.

Just real quick I wanted to give an update. I had the VR appt today and it went fairly well. I need to apply to a public school so that they can gauge how much they could give the private school but not going to a public school is not a problem. I'm glad its over but still have stuff to do so back to the grind .

Becky
    since 1/3/04