Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Assisted Living Centers?

also ahccs also covers home health care aides. I have aides coming in from Scottsdale Home Health and they seem to be really good (today was my first day with them). They are employed with Scottsdale Health Care. Unfortanuetly (can't spell this word for anything) they only do showers according to the OT @ shc. I asked my wound nurse about assisting living facilities and she didn't remember their names. I will ask her again on Friday.

I put add in local newspaper for caregiver/housekeeper then when the call go into more detail of cath changing and ennema use for bowal management. Will train usually get lots of calls pay 10 an hour. Only have had 8 in 14 years, 2 different people a week so they can switch days, works good.

Actually, AHCCCS does NOT cover home health aides - ALTHCS does. Still a State program and under the auspices of AHCCCS but not everyone has ALTHCS. Ryan, if you have AHCCCS, you will qualify for ALTHCS, have you applied? This program will cover all home health care, including nurses to do wound/bowel care, PT/OT as needed, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by xJdinox View Post
    also ahccs also covers home health care aides. I have aides coming in from Scottsdale Home Health and they seem to be really good (today was my first day with them). They are employed with Scottsdale Health Care. Unfortanuetly (can't spell this word for anything) they only do showers according to the OT @ shc. I asked my wound nurse about assisting living facilities and she didn't remember their names. I will ask her again on Friday.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    Actually, AHCCCS does NOT cover home health aides - ALTHCS does. Still a State program and under the auspices of AHCCCS but not everyone has ALTHCS. Ryan, if you have AHCCCS, you will qualify for ALTHCS, have you applied? This program will cover all home health care, including nurses to do wound/bowel care, PT/OT as needed, etc.
    Ohh! Ty for clearing that up. They just told me (Scottsdale Home Healthcare) that people who have access in general qualify. Thanks again!

I do get caregivers from the state. My mom is my primary caregiver and I hire friends to help me out for when my mom can't which is basically six hours a day. Really my mom is not my caregiver, but there are times when I need her assistance for specific nursing things that an agency wouldn't handle. In order for me to have a nurse come out and do bowel care, it would cost me 15 hours a week so we've talked my caregivers how to do it, which they wouldn't be allowed to if they just went through the agency. The agency is very restrictive on what the caregivers can do and I tend to need more than that. Everything is all settled now. For the most part, I really don't need her help barely at all.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

i will go back and read whole thread, but i lived post rehab in a "transitional living center" (kld, it was called "winners" and just down the road from RLA, funded by a rich woman, no longer there).

anyway, my advice is to stay on your own. while assisted living has benefited some ppl with other disabilities i know, i know of many more less encouraging outcomes with sci.

i am hoping for the best for you, whatever you decide.

ok, just read your last post. why are you using agencies rather than hiring your own help? one of the first things i have found agencies to balk at is bowel help; even tho it's a suppository, for me, 2x/wk, agencies insist it is an "invasive procedure." nonsense. i don't have any "professional" help with that or foley change. anybody who tells you diff is not living in the quad world (or hasn't very long).
    Last edited by cass; 08-20-2009 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    Nursing home is like prison. You want to exhaust every option before doing hard time.
    I agree 100%. The past 2 major surgeries, I had to recover in a nursing home. There is nothing for a young adult to do in them, there are curfues, you get bored easily of playing bingo and watching TV, and I noticed that the CNA's and nurses talked down to me a lot (acting like I didn't have the mental function to take care of myself anymore).

Have you talked to your case worker that helps you with finding caregivers? This is what my Mom and I did after she got burnt out taking care of me for a year in '08. It got to the point where neither Mom or I wanted to see each other, because Mom treated me like I was still living at home. We are okay now, though. I was able to go through a caregiving agency that is excellent, and once they were trained to do it, helped me with my feeding tube stuff and dressing changes for that. If you explain to your case worker that you only need the bladder and bowel stuff done at certain times, they can probably train someone to do that for you. Both of my caregivers are nurse delligated, so you should talk to them about getting caregivers that are nurse delligated.

Jessie
    (hereditary spastic paraparesis and L-4 SCI)