Thread: Pacific NW Accessible Trails

Pacific NW Accessible Trails

I try and get out of the city and into nature any chance I can get. Regardless of injury level, there are some pretty good places and trails (all considered) to get out, breathe fresh air and take in some scenery.

I'll post trail reports, go ahead and post your own PNW chair/cycle trails if you got 'em, always looking for a good spot....

Gold Creek - Snoqualmie Pass/Hyak area

~1 mile paved loop around a creek-fed pond with great views up the Gold Creek Valley. Slight upgrade makes for a good workout, if your hands are working it's no problem. Fully accessible for power chair users.

Picnic benches, bbq grills, clean restroom, lots of mountainous scenery and no one is ever there - basically have the place to myself every time I go.

Big Four Mt/ Ice Caves

Big Four Mt/ Ice Caves
    Mountain Loop Hwy/ Granite Falls ~60 miles from Seattle

Highly recommend this one. The trail head/picnic area begins a mile from the monstrous north face of Big Four mountain. As the weather warms up in late spring, you can watch thunderous avalanches come crashing down, don't get too close!

The trail is an easy ~1/3 mile through wetlands and forest to the crystal clear, snowmelt-fed Stillaguamish River. As of last week, the bridge that has been out for three years was repaired and the trail is now connected. A $5 user fee is enforced to offset the $450,000 repair.

The dirt path gets a little steep in places after the river crossing and there are sections I can't do without a helping hand. PChair users should have no problem traveling the final 2/3 miles to the foot of the mountain. As of 7/09, there is a last bit of trail being repaired but the view and surrounding forest still make it worth the effort.

If you still have energy, the Youth on Age trail back up the road makes for a good side-trip through old growth forest.

Thanks for the posts, I'll definately try to get up to them.

Gorgeous. The NW was my favorite part of my westward hooo trip.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Awesome, awesome, awesome. A great post. I've been looking for something like this. Hopefully someone from British Columbia can contribute to this thread also!

Would these trails work for the handcycle? Do people ride regular bikes on them?
    Last edited by kate; 07-06-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Iron Horse Trail

Iron Horse Trail
    I-90 Rattlesnake Lake to Yakima

This is a converted trail that used to be a railroad. In the past, one could ride the trail up and over the pass 100 miles to Yakima. The mountains seem to be falling apart lately and the state has closed the tunnels, forcing some sketchy detours.

As it is, you can still ride ~17 miles of gravel filled, mild grade through the forest to the top of the pass if starting on the West side. The scenery picks up a couple miles into it. Lots of tall bridges, waterfalls and streams, mountain views etc. Only "drawback" is the nature of the RR - that is it's very straight and uphill if only a ~2 percent grade. The upside is what goes up must come down...however far up you cycle is a free ride down. in fact, you could get dropped off at the top and ride the entire way without cranking if you wanted to.

Keep your eyes on the road, that's a 50'er my friend just about ate...

kate - the Gold Creek trail around the lake would (unofficially) be a great mile loop on a handbike. There is a "no-bike/horse/swim" sign but I would think it applies to the single track trail that splinters off the paved trail. Can only speculate what a ranger might say, I tend to error on taking the benefit of the doubt until told otherwise...ignorance being bliss and all

The Big Four trail....probably not. Definetly not on normal bikes. The turns are sharp, the steep section too much for a recumbant. I have a One-Off on order and will probably try my luck some weekday afternoon and see what happens.

I've got a perfect trail for you coming up....
    Last edited by alpentalic; 07-06-2009 at 10:41 PM.

Id hate to try the Big Four trail, as you get nearer the to, your on rough terrain, and the trail up is way too windy and it would be kinda hard presses to get a hand bike up.

Thanks for sharing the photos and your experience. Someday I hope to do some 'hiking' again in the PNW and it is good to know there is access.

Pilchuck River FR P-500

We more or less stumbled on this gem. Locate the Pilchuck River on a map of Lake Rossiger, Snohomish County. The only drawback is they've effectively blockaded the start of the road/trail to keep out motorcycles and 4x4's. That means either being able to stand and maneuver the footpath around or being lifted over the chest high barrier.

If you can manage that, miles and miles of rolling forest road and solitude along a clear river and old woods await. We've made it 10 miles deep and are nowhere close to exploring the upper roads. You'll need a couple AB friends to help with logs and washouts the further in you get.

Speaking of which, I'm getting stronger and stronger but can't possibly keep pace with someone else on a bike up long ascents. We found it works good attaching a line to another bike on the uphills. I'm able to gear up and supply as much armpower and travel further/faster as a two-some. I've got a friend who likes to hike, help push and catch a ride down hills.

Point being it's easier to find you and your thoughts miles deep in the wilderness than you might think.

yes, we're idiots for not having helmets...always wear one like I usually do