Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plastic coated handrim Qs

hey thanks shaun...which brand do you recommend? does insurance cover or do you have to get them yourself?

~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~

I have the foam coated ones from sportaid on another pair of wheels I have, I haven't used them much but they are definitely better (more tacky) than any vinyl coated ones I've ever used. But not as good as the ones I had a local wheelchair dealer get coated for me in the 'sparkle foam' which they told me was new at the time and was more durable than the traditional foam, they look like they have glitter mixed in the foam (I know, sounds gay but it's really not that noticable) guess thats why they call it 'sparkle foam'.
    If you have a local wheelchair dealer that does repair and stuff I'd go there and ask if they can get this kind of coating done for you. Or take your handrims off and send them to this place recoating service they only charge $62. Or if you wish to replace the whole handrim just order the ones from sportaid.

btw- I swear the spitting works! If you ever get desperate for traction spit on or lick your palms (not too much) and rub them together. Saliva is our body's natural lubricant or tackifier(when nearly dry)

WFE- yes-no pain no gain

Originally posted by JT:

You could rub pine tar on them, lots of guys do that to their handrims in quad rugby. Or you can just spit on your hands to get more traction.
    A little over a year ago I had my handrims coated with this sparkle foam stuff (which doesnt even look like foam), I've always had vinyl coating (which I'm assuming u have and mean by plastic) but decided to try the foam coating cuz the vinyl always seemed to lose its tackiness quickly and gets really slippery when it's raining. The foam is extremely grippy (almost too grippy at first), much better than the vinyl coated handrims, and after over a year they still haven't lost their tackiness. I'd recommend you switch to foam coated next time you get new handrims or have yours re-coated.

Shaun- Yeah it's probably foam like I have.
    spitting works in a pinch. yes bridget black vinyl dip is what im talking about. .

Originally posted by bridget:

hey thanks shaun...which brand do you recommend? does insurance cover or do you have to get them yourself?

~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~
    Now that you mention JT my have that little silver glitter in them too..

Bridget i dont know if there is really a best i kinda thought they were all the same till i read JT's post on the sparkled being a little tougher,and like he said it's not like sissy girly sparkley ..ya hardly notice it.As for insurance covering them i really cant say.I guess maybe if you could get an OT or a doctor to say they would help you in some way then maybe...

Bridget are you in the US or Canada?

~Oh boy,sleep! Thats where im a Viking~...Ralph Wiggum..

i think the sparkly glitter would be pretty, then again i am a chick

shaun i live in the US, but i think im just going to buy them. it takes insurance like a year to get anything. im exagerrating, more like 3-6 months. there fairly cheap, so its not a problem.

thanks again everyone

When I get new coating (glued on tires basically) on my handrims for my racer they are always slippery at first. I typically use a large file to rough them up for better traction. I'm not ccertain it will work on plastic and you might want to try a little at first so you don't ruin the plastic.

Steve

I found some great snap on rims in England. they are about $75.00 each. We love them ...not too big not slippery and not sticky. I'll have to try to find the company in England for you, Steve jawbstr@aol.com