Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plastic coated handrim Qs

plastic coated handrim Qs

i have some plastic coated hand rims on my spinergy tires that are still way too slippery...what can you put on them to fix this problem? i have tried windex and fingernail polish remover, but it hasn't helped much. i know i should wear gloves, but they annoy me. please help!

~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~

Originally posted by bridget:

i have some plastic coated hand rims on my spinergy tires that are still way too slippery...what can you put on them to fix this problem? i have tried windex and fingernail polish remover, but it hasn't helped much. i know i should wear gloves, but they annoy me. please help!

~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~
    plastic coated handrims should be tacky. ive always used the black dipped on my spinergys. try getting them redipped

Hi Bridget, im trying out a new set of pushrims right now that are made from a soft rubber.You can actually squeeze them and they have awsome traction even when wet.I cant remember who makes them though.If nobody reads this today that knows anything about them i'll let you know tommorow who makes them..

~Oh boy,sleep! Thats where im a Viking~...Ralph Wiggum..

Hey Bridget

I have the same problem as you, and being a quad my grip is nonexistant. I havbe the same rims but have surgical tubing wraped around to give a sort of tread to halp push with. Downside is is blows for stopping as its bumpy kinda like a car with warped rotors.

Originally posted by Shaun:

Hi Bridget, im trying out a new set of pushrims right now that are made from a soft rubber.You can actually squeeze them and they have awsome traction even when wet.I cant remember who makes them though.If nobody reads this today that knows anything about them i'll let you know tommorow who makes them..

im curious as well shaun

I cant find anything on my receipts that give a name for them,but im starting to wonder if maybe they are not a hard foam...

You could rub pine tar on them, lots of guys do that to their handrims in quad rugby. Or you can just spit on your hands to get more traction.
    A little over a year ago I had my handrims coated with this sparkle foam stuff (which doesnt even look like foam), I've always had vinyl coating (which I'm assuming u have and mean by plastic) but decided to try the foam coating cuz the vinyl always seemed to lose its tackiness quickly and gets really slippery when it's raining. The foam is extremely grippy (almost too grippy at first), much better than the vinyl coated handrims, and after over a year they still haven't lost their tackiness. I'd recommend you switch to foam coated next time you get new handrims or have yours re-coated.

Shaun- Yeah it's probably foam like I have.

thanks guys about this foam...where or who can i talk to about this? i have never seen it as an option when ordering a chair or even heard of it. is it expensive? sounds like it would really help my problem.

paton, surgical tubing--i think i used that in rehab, but prefer something more discreet looking--guess i can be a little superficial sometimes

fuente, i think the 'plastic coated' is the same as 'black dipped' since they are black

lol, jt, i think spitting would make it worse!

Sportaid has them Bridgethttp://www.sportaid.com/catalog/page...elchair%20Rims

There not as tough as the coated rims, but the ones ive got take some serious abuse and i figure i'll get about 1-1.5 years out of them..

But don't those handrims get very hot when you are going downhills? I have titanium handrims and even they are getting to hot sometimes when I try to slow down the speed.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.