Thread: Handrails for a kingsize bed

Handrails for a kingsize bed

Hello, my husband has just loss the use of his legs. We are in the process of trying to modify our home to accomodate his wheelchair (bathroom, kitchen, and floors). One area of concern is our bed. We have a king size bed. At this point, it is very difficult for him to turn in this bed. I am searching for handrails - specifically, I would like to know is there a handrail that will fit in the middle of our bed so that he is able to turn in the middle of the bed?

Worn out searching. I saw and extreme makeover show in which Ty Pennington rennovated a home to accommodate a father and son who both have loss the use of their legs. In the masterbed room, the bed had what I though appeared to be a center handrail. Does such an piece of equipment exsist? Or was this just the creativity of Ty?

They make bed rails that fit between the matress and box spring, but if you saw a rail in the middle of what appeared to be the mattress my guess is that it was two beds pushed together with the rail in the middle.

this is the one i use, but i use mine for turning to the outside of the bed.

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Assist-Ra...670613&sr=8-25
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

I have a SuperPole with the arm and the trapeze. I use the arm on the side to pull towards the edge, and use the trapeze to move towards the middle.

e.t.a. holy crap that's big, sorry
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 07-05-2009 at 04:55 PM.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Not much info on your profile, Newcomer, to help you with an answer. Does he have a spinal cord injury? What level? Is he in rehab? Does he have full use of his arms and hands?

If he has good use of his arms, and is still in rehab, the therapists should be teaching him how to move around in bed. Bed mobility training should be part of rehab. If he has a grip, he can learn to pull himself over using the edge of the mattress. When you travel and don't have a trapeze or other device, this is how most people with SCI do it.

The rails that fit under the mattress are notoriously flimsy and easily displaced.

If he does not have a great grip, or cannot learn to use the mattress edge as above, something like a bed or "quad" ladder may be helpful. This can be attached any place on the bed frame. His therapists should be making specific recommendations for home modifications, with recommendation of specific products, based on the home evaluation they should have done for you.

Keep in mind that overhead lifting with trapezes is very hard on his shoulders. We avoid the use of trapezes either in the hospital or home for that reason.

(KLD)

I would go with a trapeze, should be able to get one at any medical supply store. They might not be recommended in hospitals or nursing homes because staff don't want patients getting up on their own. I used one until I gained enough arm strength back and my 93 year old mother uses one to help position/reposition herself. In your own home you do what ever works best. If it works well you might want to think about siderails as well. Good luck.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

KLD, I have one of those bedrails that has arms that fit between the mattress and box spring, but it also has thick black straps that go over the top of the box spring and all the way around underneath, fastening in the front again. Nothing short of lifting the box spring off the bed is going to get that rail to move.

yes i have one like eileens, and its definitly not flimsy! mine is specifically for slatted beds, and it doesnt need any straps. im actually looking into getting a things called a '2 in 1 rail' that can be fitted to either a slat or a divan bed, comes apart easily, and is made of nylon/steel so is very lighweight for travel. i want to be able to take it to hotels or wherever, where i might not have advance information on the bed type.

I have a sturdy bed rail, my ot had ordered it when she found out I was going to be in a single bed for a while after discharge, and was worried about my not having enough room for turning. It is on my queen now, b./c it was so handy. Also for keeping me ON the bed, when I try to reach for something TOOOOOOO far away.

I also have a trapeze .... I find it is actually better for my shoulders than not. When I am away from home, and sitting up w.o them, I don;t have any difficulty any more (couldnt do it earlier, hence the trapeze) But after a day or so, my shoulders are in serious pain.

I have also seen an idea here, where there is a strap ALL the way around the mattress, like a belt. It is at the right spot to use to pull on to turn. But pillows would keep it from being a problem to sleep on. I am thinking of getting one - I am always pulling the sheets on my hubby's side loose. (WHen he isn;t there, of course, when he IS there, grabbing his elbow works great!)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005