Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Windows 7

I have been watching the advertising for Windows 7, currently at half price. I presently use Windows XP professional and am trying to figure a reason for upgrading. I did not upgrade to Vista because aside from being a memory hog, it's features were not worth the investment in my opinion. Has anyone tried Windows 7 and been impressed enough to buy it?
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I have been watching the advertising for Windows 7, currently at half price. I presently use Windows XP professional and am trying to figure a reason for upgrading. I did not upgrade to Vista because aside from being a memory hog, it's features were not worth the investment in my opinion. Has anyone tried Windows 7 and been impressed enough to buy it?
    mike, microsoft has always used us as beta-testers, should wait til at least the first patch or two comes out, will make your 'update' a lot easier, plus by then there will be alot of knowledgeable people giving their 2 cents worth with the hassle/simple upgrade process

just my 2 cents worth
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Mike-Do you like XP better? Vista has a box that comes up everytime you want to do something to ask you if you really want to do it...what a pain! If I didn't want to do something I wouldn't have hit the keys to do it! I have two fingers that can type I need something easier. I had XP for awile and liked it alot...do you? Did your computer come with XP and full Windows software so all you have to do is upgrade online? Did you go to the Microsoft site and review Windows 7?

I got a Gateway desk top a few months ago...the trial windows is done...hate Vista but need to decide what windows to get that is affordable and a pleasure to use. Should I get Windows 7? What I saw for price was as low as $49 if you sign up for it now even tho it doesn't get released 'til October! Sorry, didn't mean to hijack.
    "What has happened, has happened; What I am going through, I shall rise above; And what will come, I will meet with courage"~Hazrat Inayat Kahn

Snuz, what applications do you need to use? You and Mike could probably use Ubuntu or Kubuntu with little trouble.

If you're interested, you can test them out by using Wubi. You just run it, choose Ubuntu or Kubuntu, enter your desired username/password, and click install.

It'll download itself, then you reboot, choose Ubuntu (or Kubuntu), let it finish installing, reboot again, and then you can try it out. All for free.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Thanks Steven...I am not so literate that I know computer speak. Is this to replace Windows stuff? I'm always scared to put something on my computer in case I do it wrong but I'll click on there and see what this is an enlighten myself. Thanks again.
    "What has happened, has happened; What I am going through, I shall rise above; And what will come, I will meet with courage"~Hazrat Inayat Kahn

If you like it, it could replace Windows. Wubi just lets you test Ubuntu without worrying about losing or messing up Windows.

I've been using it for several months now with no real complaints. (Although a small number of sites, like abc.com, won't let you watch videos with Linux. YouTube and Hulu both work, though, as does every Flash-based video site. Minor inconvenience, imo.)

Quote Originally Posted by Snuz View Post
    Thanks Steven...I am not so literate that I know computer speak. Is this to replace Windows stuff? I'm always scared to put something on my computer in case I do it wrong but I'll click on there and see what this is an enlighten myself. Thanks again.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

I could have sworn I read something a while back that said Microsoft was going to offer free Windows 7 upgrades to Vista owners, but apparently this is not the case. Shelling out at least $100 to upgrade is way too much for me. I rarely use windows as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I could have sworn I read something a while back that said Microsoft was going to offer free Windows 7 upgrades to Vista owners, but apparently this is not the case. Shelling out at least $100 to upgrade is way too much for me. I rarely use windows as it is.
    yep, i think the netbooks would be a good deal
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I went to the site and started the download it said 58min and 20 seconds...I was gone for 20 minutes or so came back and it still says the same. Should I do something?

Quote Originally Posted by Snuz View Post
    I went to the site and started the download it said 58min and 20 seconds...I was gone for 20 minutes or so came back and it still says the same. Should I do something?
    Are you using DSL or dial-up? If dial-up, it'll be a long haul.

If DSL and Vista, has the progress bar moved any? If not, you may have to find a Continue button to click. (Sometimes they don't pop up in front of you.)