Thread: Boating harm me?

Boating harm me?

My accident was in the end of Sept 08. We just bought a boat and are planning on being on it every weekend. I am a t-6. and am getting return. I just wanted to make sure that even though we are hitting other boats wake and bouncing around, (it sometimes hurts when we hit hard) that it will not harm me from continuing getting return. I've worked so hard to get where I am now, I don't want to stop here!

I've been boating for 10 yrs often in very rough conditions, as my PT would say, anything physical, is therapy.

Check with your doctor if you are doing hard pounding in the boat. We recommend avoiding that type of stress for at least 6 months post surgery for your back. You should be OK, but it is always best to ask just to be sure.

(KLD)

thanks!

Thanks I just didn't want to harm myself from getting more back.

I think you will be just fine.. Enjoy the summer!

I was on the water a lot before my injury and know that smacking into other boats wakes can be rough. Get yourself a "low profile" Roho so you can have some cushion below you.

But most of all HAVE FUN!!!!!

I've been boating for 10 yrs often in very rough conditions, as my PT would say, anything physical, is therapy.

Jim, I would love to meet this person. Boating,,,,,,,, well, not what you have in mind,but here it goes. The last 2 years I have gotten on the back of my fathers lobster boat. The first year I took it easy, ran the winch, tried walking a round minimal amounts. But I couldn't get enough. Stupid [me] built a new 21 foot workboat for the winter months. Got over the side in waders, and spent the winter up to my chest in freezing water in a pair of waders churning out clams. Everyday I crawled over the side back in and got a lot of strength back, not to mention the horrific thought of taking a dunk in the water [yes there were a few]

This spring I had no crew on the lobster boat and set 600 traps, and have been running them with dear old dad once again. Pulling an income, beating myself to death. And unlike Gloria Vanderbilt I really do look terific [ in baggy shorts, and watery ankles].

Do enjoy yourself, but don't do as I do, Meaning, head butt the 250 gallon, full of water lobster tank with your head, or trip over a snail shell and land in the plastic fish boxes. Or any other disaster I could only dream up, and I never quit, the sky is the limit here.

Oddly bouncing has been somewhat benificial to me, I've never figured it out. That along with the fears of someone in my shape, doing this far fetched "hobby" it's some how working.