Thread: hysterectomy/ablation vs. sci

hysterectomy/ablation vs. sci

I am 31 year old female para of 15 years. Sick of dealing with period, I have uterian fibroid which is normal but may be causing my extremely heavy periods.
    Periods have really changed this year, I am working with my gynocologist, did blood draw and uterian ultrasound so far. All normal cept the fibroid but that's non cancerous.
    Was considering uterian ablation or vaginal hysterectomy. I am not interested in giving birth, if at some point I want kids, I will adopt. Felt this way for awhile bout kids but now with the other issues, it's like why not take care of it all at once.
    Too many problems with uterian ablation, chance of tubal pregnancies if I accidently got preggo which probably woudln't happen but I guess ya never know. It's really bad for the baby and for the mom so not sure I want to deal with that.
    Going to talk to doc/surgeon more on thursday but am interested in sci views..........thanks a bunch, Lex

oh and bc isn't an option for me, high rate of breast cancers and other cancers in my family. All the ladies who have had it, were on hormones throughout their lives.......not to mention blood clots. Too many issues so no hormone pills for me

I've been hemming and hawing about this for years and finally decided to get the ablation as it seemed the least radical way of (hopefully!) alleviating a heavy period. Mine is scheduled for the 14th, so I'll report back. For me having kids is a non-issue, so that made the decision easier. Also the fact that it's a quick procedure and I can go home right away.

I'm AB (it's my son with SCI), but I had the ablation done in March and have been thrilled with the results. It was fabulous. Changed my life. My doctor is on the Christmas card list for life. It was outpatient and very easy. I took advil after the procedure and didn't need any other pain med. Felt slow for three days -- I think due to the anethesia and not the surgery and was fine after that. You and also get your tubes tied at the same time to prevent pregnancy. The recovery will be a little bit more, but still not bad.

Hope this helps.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Hysterectomy and SCI

I have a C5-C6 SCI but am walking, cycling etc. I was also able to regain bladder and bowel control. I decided to have a laproscopic assisted vaginal hysterectormy due to endometriosis. I have never had children and don't want any. An interesting side effect of the hysterectomy is a vaginal rectocele and possible enterocele. I am no longer able to have bowel movements on my own. To think I would make it through my SCI only to loose the ability to have bowel movements to a hysterectomy!

I had the ablation procedure yesterday and it went pretty smoothly. It took about twenty minutes, and another twenty to scope and measure the uterus. With a group of med students watching. Ugh. That was not in the brochure. Anyway, despite my being a complete C-1, they went with a spinal anesthetic to prevent AD. My BP and pulse stayed normal throughout, and after an hour in post-op I got the ok to go home. No pain or AD today. So, so far so good. It will take a while to see if it was worth it, but the procedure itself is really not too bad. I'll no doubt be regretting putting it off so long.

Hey Lexi,

what did you decide to do? what about the pill you can take to have only 1 period a year? I recommend Pearl tampons. I can use the Pearls at night and no mess in the bed on real heavy nights. They cost a little more but are definitely worth it.

Hope whatever you decide works for you.
    I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and
    hunger.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    why can't i access these threads?
    Cass, it looks like you aren't a member of the private women's only forum? PM Steve, Wise or Obie about it.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I had the ablation in April. I had no problems - 100% recovery by day 3. Had it done as outpatient surgery at the hospital. No periods since, no other PMS or other symptoms. I wish I had done it years ago.
    C3/4 Brown Sequard