Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair accessible furniture?

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    What couches, chairs, etc work best for everyone?

Do you just adapt to everything you have?

Did you buy something post injury based on height/width specifications?

Any specific store/brand name/designer stand out?
    I adapted to what I had, but when we moved and bought new furniture we made sure that I could use everything. I transferred to the couch etc. in the store to make sure I could. We got leather because it was easier to keep clean (I have a guide dog and guide/service dog in training) and because it was easier for me to transfer on and off of because I could slide. We bought desks with adjustable height legs and it's hard to find a table that I could get under without hitting my knees, but we tested out every table at the store and found one that works. The trick is to find one that don't have the extra bit that comes down under the table top that goes all around it. We also made sure to get handles for furniture that I could handle enough to open doors/drawers with and make sure that anything we do buy works for both of us.

Tables and filing cabinets and bookcases on wheels work well. We have several other tables we had bil install wheels on. For couch in living room I shopped Home Depot for outdoor patio blocks the right height and color coordinated w couch. Placed dycem under blocks to protect floor. Now couch is corrrect height. We shopped and shopped for wheelchair height convertible couch for guest room and could not find one. So, back to Home Depot to puchase 12 patio blocks of correct height and color. One block below each leg, then when folding out bed 4 additional blocks, one under each contact point. Works great for wheelchair user guests, stable transfer at transfer friendly height.

Get a couch or love seat with nice wide, flat arms and at "lean over" height.

"Bamb, chicha, bamb, bamp."

I once saw an "easy chair" that one backs into/inside the frame in their wheelchair. It tilts back like an electric recliner to the degree that one wants-good for weight shifting. I saw it in an internet photo of an Disabilities Expo in Miami, but could never find the vendor again. Sitting upright in a wheelchair can be tiring and the tilt back a few degrees relieves that stress but you are still in your chair if you want to go out to get a drink or something.

Spammy?
    And the truth shall set you free.

I see that this is an old post. However, we recently purchased a Lazy Boy "home theater" type set up. It's 2 recliners that fit together. One has an electric lever that allows you to recline by pushing this little lever. . The other seat is manual. The nice thing about these are that they fit together like a love seat and are perfect height for easy transfer. We got them in black leather AND they both have CUP HOLDLERS!!! :}

Hi I thought about this quite a few years and finally just had a total Makeover in my living room

I had a recliner up at my other office that I hardly used it ,I bought it ages ago because it was one of those kool brown tweed recliners I could power nap in while programming / doing office work

It was a kool piece of furniture I had many years and sat it aside never thinking it would help me until recently
    While I had a fireplace installed
    I asked my friends to take out my old living room bulky furniture and I had them bring in my nice ol Recliner place it next to my book case
    Being I like wicker furniture and had old wooden rocking chairs 2 of them
    I put one in the other end so my B/F can watch tele if he wants
    It's funny I usually like ploping my butt on the floor to watch good movies up close .

Every 4 years or so I change my styles of furniture it is a old habit of mine but I like it lmao

Now I have less furniture in my living room ....

The rebuilt homesteader wood fire place is great in the middle of these
    I like my simple country set up

outdoor and patio furniture

I live on the south coastal area of the USA. In my community as well as other communities near the coast, which are subject to hurricanes, we now have new regulations for sliding doors. These doors have large lips which make it basically impossible for wheelchair bound individuals to go outside to the typical patio or balcony.

It is important therefore to obtain or to have constructed special ramps to allow those with wheelchairs to access these areas.

It is also important to have heavy furniture in those areas. Cast aluminum furniture fills the bill.
    Last edited by hhiguy; 10-23-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling corrections

Quote Originally Posted by hhiguy View Post
    These doors have large lips which make it basically impossible for wheelchair bound individuals to go outside to the typical patio or balcony.

It is important therefore to obtain or to have constructed special ramps to allow those with wheelchairs to access these areas.
    Spammer, I suspect you are not "wheelchair bound" or you wouldn't put such a stupid post here.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by hhiguy View Post
    I live on the south coastal area of the USA. In my community as well as other communities near the coast, which are subject to hurricanes, we now have new regulations for sliding doors. These doors have large lips which make it basically impossible for wheelchair bound individuals to go outside to the typical patio or balcony.

It is also important to have heavy furniture in those areas. Cast aluminum furniture fills the bill.

You are correct..almost all hotel room on the coast have this "lip" which I can not get over alone..and we had to actually get a building code override in South FLorida to have a no step down concrete deck built to pool area..due to floods and water risks here..so basically..we put a drain in to keep water from coming in..all my out door furniture is aluminum as well..unfortunatly..not heavy enough and got blown around a few times ..so that was a mistake!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda