Thread: Bad Sunburn

Bad Sunburn

My ankles and feet got real bad sunburn today. I lotioned with shoes and socks on then didn't apply.

They're really red, but no sores, blisters or anything like that. Now I'm just using Aloe. Anything I should worry about or something else to use. I figure I'll leave my shoes and socks off the rest of today/tonight.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Keep your feet and legs elevated. You can still develop blisters if these are actually second degree burns. Take some NSAIDs. Cool, moist compresses, and aloe or witch hazel compresses can be used. Watch for AD later today. It generally does not occur immediately with burns like this. If you get AD, you may need to take medication to control it for several days (nifedipine or nitropaste).

Next time, use sun block on ALL exposed skin areas before you go outdoors!!!

(KLD)

I did the same reading a good book on a ship in the Caribbean. Wash feet and ankles with cool but not spasm producing cold soap and water and lotion up many times a day. Avoid any kind of shoes that restrict blood flow. This is the one time I'd stick with socks or sandals. Elevate feet as often as possible. I honestly thought I'd have running sores by that night my feet were so beet red. I even checked the dispensary hours against dinner. Nothing. Yes, they swelled but they slowly faded to pink and then a very dark tan. I rarely get even faintly pink but still use a SPF 15 to 30 depending on where I am. Good luck on yours. It still amazes me I didn't have 3rd degree burns and serious AD.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

If you grow Aloe Plants....Keep one big stem, wrapped in freezer. So soothing to skin.
    Of course this is in addition to SCI-Nurse advice.

The other thing that you need to make sure you do is to drink plenty of fluids. Stay away from things that have a lot of salt in them (like sodas).

CKF

Or margaritas. :-)
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I'm greatly enjoying the Wisconsin summer, but man is my head fried. I shave my head and it's been very sunny lately, my head looks like a tomato.

Please be careful. Your scalp is not used to seeing the sun. There is sunscreen that is not greasy/oily that you can use if you don't want to cover your head. If it's really red, you need to stay out of the sun for a few days, make sure that you drink plenty of fluids and if it hurts take some NSAIDS, like motrin or advil.
    CKF

Duder, ever thought of adding a Panama hat to your look in summer? My Dad finally had to give up golf due to hip problems but check out a few rounds of a Masters and especially a seniors level tournament on TV and you'll see a lot of them. Many of the now seniors have had skin cancer and Panamas also screen a good deal of your face, ears and back of neck. Even Tiger Woods wears a baseball cap. My "that's women stuff" spouse now uses a spray on SPF 45 or 50 that drys real quick on arms, legs and spreads it on his face on vacations. Although he still has all his hair he has a hat with a long back panel for cruises after he had a few precancerous polyps removed around his neck. I think the spray I got him is Neutragena brand. Dries fast, no funny residue and no perfumey smell. If there is a mall with a Bath and Body Works around they let you test and sniff things so you don't have a clash with your aftershave, cologne or whatever.

I hear I won't be attacked by swarms of mosquitos this year when we go home. Nice summer, eh?