Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first time flying

first time flying

I'm T10, 10 months post injury and getting ready to fly to Las Vegas and have a few questions:

1. are cathing supplies allowed as carry on items or should I check everything in with my luggage? Is lube allowed as a carry on item?

2. I plan on taking my chair to the gate but at that point do I leave my armrests on or should I pack them in my carry on bag or put them in my checked luggage?

3. I'm a little worried about a bowel accident mid flight. I haven't had an accident in over a month but I'm worried about pressure change etc. Should I wear a brief or underwear? And what would one do if you did have a bowel accident mid flight?

Any tips/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

How long is your flight?

1. look into the self contained "bag" caths, I use the Coloplast hydrophyllic. They are water activated and have the "bottle" inside, just twist it and give it 30sec, smooth as glass. No worries about lube and such.

2. Anything "removable" should go with you in carry-on. Med supplies do not count against you. Take your cushion and sit on it for flight.

3. Not much to do, I'm afraid. Depends would be a good idea if worried, at least it will stay contained better. Just cut down on food for a day, and no greasy tacos.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

My dad just took his first flight to NYC since his accident.

Being prepared is key, as his luggage unfortunately didn't arrive with his flight when he arrived in NYC (came a few hours later), and then on the way home all of the flights into Chicago were cancelled due to weather and he was stuck in the airport for nearly 12 hours. And again, his luggage didn't arrive until two days later...

So be prepared for the randomness of air travel as well.

Regarding answers to your questions..

1) Definitely take your cathing supplies on board, and enough in case your baggage doesn't arrive with you (! at least 1 day's worth). My dad made up little homemade "cath kits" - plastic bags that contained one catheter, one lube packet, one hand sanitizing wipe, one glove. He carried several of these in a fanny pack to use for cathing in the airport, and his entire 3 days supply was in his carry-on bag in case his checked luggage was lost. I'd recommend bringing to the airport/on the plane the type of cathing supplies you are most comfortable with, as cathing in the airport (?on a plane) could be an adventure.

We didn't bring a tube of lubricant in his carry-on bag, since it would have been bigger then the allowed volume of a liquid tube, I think....

2) Definitely just carry them on with you, and ask them to help you put them in the overhead compartment.

3) Pressure changes shouldn't cause any bowel problems. Not much to do... make sure you do your bowel program the morning before you go. The idea of eating a little light/eating the "good foods"/fiber etc.. (whatever keeps you regular) for a few days before certainly can't hurt.

And again, plan ahead in case of an emergency... I recommend keeping all medications, supplies, and any critical things for your daily function in a carry on bag..... just in case your luggage gets delayed/lost, or your flight gets cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post

We didn't bring a tube of lubricant in his carry-on bag, since it would have been bigger then the allowed volume of a liquid tube, I think....
    Medical supplies do not count against the 100ml thingies in a quart bag rule; you could have taken the tube: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...eds/index.shtm

Flying

It depends on the size of the aircraft you are flying on. If you are on a 737 your 'chair will go in the cargo area. If you are thin lean person with a 16" or smaller size frame and flying on a 777 it can go in the cabin storage area.

What I do a about bowel accident while flying is two to three days I go on a juice diet while my bowels will all empty out. By the time my aircraft takes off I don't have to worry about an accident in the air. I do the same on return flight. I also bring along an empty 60oz detergent bottle like Tide and use it as an urinal. If it gets filled during flight I just ask an attendant to empty it out for me.
    They are THERE to help you so you fly again with them. Bring some gloves with you too, to give to the attendant to use. So don't be afraid to ask! Don't be afraid to use a foley during flight. You don't have to worry about cathing yourself. I have been on three plus 40 hour flights with no problems.

Use your cushion to sit on during your flight too. You may want to tie wrap any loose items on your 'chair like arm rests or side guards.

Bring along any antibiotics you have "just in case" you get a uti you can't deal with.

When you check in ask to be upgraded to first class. Rule of thumb. First one on, last one off.

Relax and enjoy the flight!

titanium4motion
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 06-28-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Sentence structure

are u flying alone? if not, then someone can carry your post-cath to the bathroom for you. or u could carry a zip lock and put it in a backpack that u carry on and keep under the seat in front of u. or if up then the flight attendant will get it down for u when u need it.

as for BM's, make sure u do a thorough job the day before u fly or the morning before u fly, whatever your schedule is. the pressure changes do affect it, but it's nothing to worry about. i usually try to schedule my "bathroom" night for the night i arrive.

you can carry on i think up to 4oz of liquid, gel, paste, etc (check the airline's site). i'd bring some little packets to be safe.

definitely everything removable goes with u in the plane. i put my cushion in the overhead.

when are you going? i'm leaving tuesday and staying at the monte carlo. hit me up if u need any advice.
    Last edited by wheelz99; 06-28-2009 at 05:30 PM.

I too, recommend a foley. I emptied the bag into an empty mountain dew bottle, and got rid of it when I got off the plane. But you can just put the bottle in the "barf" bag, and ask the flight attendant to dispose of it.

I carried and extra tote bag, and put my arm rests and side guards in it at the gate. It doesn;t count in your limit. The chair came with me to the door of the plane, and then went into the baggage area. I flew Jet Blue ... so no upgrade possible.

At baggage check-in, and again at the gate, tell them, and remind them that you are in a w/c, will need an aisle chair to get to your seat, and will need assistance transferring. Be sure to tell them all 3 parts, not just that ou have a chair.

No suggestions on the bowel issues.

ps .... there are a LOT of threads on flying. Use the search option on the blue bar.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

We are leaving on Sunday July 5th. Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz99 View Post
    are u flying alone? if not, then someone can carry your post-cath to the bathroom for you. or u could carry a zip lock and put it in a backpack that u carry on and keep under the seat in front of u. or if up then the flight attendant will get it down for u when u need it.

as for BM's, make sure u do a thorough job the day before u fly or the morning before u fly, whatever your schedule is. the pressure changes do affect it, but it's nothing to worry about. i usually try to schedule my "bathroom" night for the night i arrive.

you can carry on i think up to 4oz of liquid, gel, paste, etc (check the airline's site). i'd bring some little packets to be safe.

definitely everything removable goes with u in the plane. i put my cushion in the overhead.

when are you going? i'm leaving tuesday and staying at the monte carlo. hit me up if u need any advice.

We are leaving on Sunday July 5th. Thanks for the info.

What airline are you flying? And will you be alone, or is someone going to be with you?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005