Thread: Tasty's New England vacation

Tasty's New England vacation

As promised, here's my essay regarding "What I did on my summer vacation." Thanks to all who provided input and assisted with the planning.

We arrived at the Red Jackets resorts last Sunday evening in rain and high winds. We stayed at the Riviera, which is one of four resorts on Cape Cod. Three of them are adjacent to each other in South Yarmouth. Our room overlooked Nantucket Sound. Since I'm a mobile para, accessibility was fine. A wide bathroom door and sitting platform and bars in the tub made it OK. The room could probably use a few more electrical outlets. Upon arrival the first thing I did was check the local weather report on TV. There was no change to what had been forecasted for the week; rain and high winds. I called the office to see how long we had to stay before leaving. The manager said we had to stay through Monday evening, so we did. Even with the awful weather, the potential for the area was obvious. There is great natural beauty everywhere, and day trips to Seashore National Park, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket are easily arranged, as are party boat fishing, harbor cruises, train rides, and whale watching. Restaurants were routinely accessible and the food was good to very good. Unfortunately, the rain and high winds made every outside excursion miserable. Did I mention there were rain and high winds?

On Tuesday AM I told my wife we were heading south and would not stop until we found sun. We spent the night at home on the way south and recharged out batteries. I did a quick Internet search and decided on Tilghman Island, MD. We took the Cape May-Lewes ferry from NJ into Delaware, and had a two hour ride to our hotel. On the way you have to go through St. Michaels, which is another beautiful island, but very pricey. Lots of rich people there. We stayed at the Tilghman Island Inn which is obviously in a transitional stage. It is on the water, literally a football field length away from the Chesapeake Bay. The manager said that he worked on Capitol Hill when the ADA was approved, and three of the eighteen rooms are w/c accessible. I selected the room with a waterfront view which was less accessible than the other two. The only problem with accessibility was that the tub is also a whirlpool bath and very deep with shower controls opposite the water controls. Gravity helps getting in, but hinders getting out. Changing the water temperature was also an adventure. A tub seat and hand-held shower would correct the problem. In all fairness the most accessible room has a roll-in shower. Our two day package included continental breakfast both mornings and dinner for one evening. We didn't stay until Sunday, but Sunday's package includes a brunch. Our package dinner was four star and the wine selection is award-winning. Tilghman Island is very rustic, geared toward crabbing, oystering, fishing, and tourism. The food was very good, and we had no problem finding accessible restaurants. However, St. Michaels has many small shops which are not accessible, but enough areas are accessible to allow a good time. The highlight of our trip was an excursion on the Rebecca Ruark, the oldest working skipjack in the country with National Historic landmark status. She was built in 1886 and owned and operated by Capt. Wade Murphy who is a both a seaworthy sailor and a true raconteur who educates and entertains every minute. The "RR" is not truly accessible as there is no bathroom. However, getting on and off was no problem as the captain and other passengers were more than willing to assist. The tour is a two hour sail around the Chesapeake with all its natural beauty while the captain regales you with stories, his take on the life of a bayman, and some anti-government railing. We had a beautiful day and a great time. We finished our trip and rushed to the Chesapeake Landing restaurant for the best, biggest steamed crabs you could hope for. BTW, six jumbo crabs cost $34. Friday morning we headed back to the ferry and had a nice crossing with some leaping dolphin thrown in for good measure.

Long story short, we had a great time and my wife had a smile on her face the whole time (at least once we left rainy New England). Like life, vacation is often what you make it. We made memories and laughed the whole time. That being said, it's great to be home.

Oh no, I can;t believe LAST week was your vacation. It was so cold and rainy here! Glad you ended up having a nice time. (ps .... after a nice day Saturday ......its supposed to be almost as bad next week.)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

tasty, too bad about your trip up here and our ongoing lousy weather. At least you got to get out of here and spend a couple of days in a better weather pattern and climate in MD. Not only that but I also learned some things about accessible activities to do and see on the Cape while looking around for you. I'm glad you only spent 2 days here. This week the weather STILL sucks. 65 degrees and "light rain". This is almost July first. I've put the heat on every morning while I shit and shower and been wearing a turtleneck shirt under a sweatshirt since last September. Bought and planted flowers 3 weeks ago.....haven't had to water them yet! It's been awful all spring. Gray, dismal, rainy and raw. The whole country is experiencing a heat wave except New England. It warmer in Winnipeg, Canada than it is here. I'm looking at live TV in NY covering the Bernie Madoff sentencing and it's sunny and people are in short sleeved shirts. It's only a 3 hour drive away. Why I live here is beyond me. I'm ready to suck on a snub-nosed .38 except I don't have one and if I did it would probably be all rusty.

When we left Cape Cod last Tuesday, we did not find sun until we hit New Haven, CT. It was partly cloudy/sunny until we got home, and it rained that night. We were literally being followed by a black cloud. I would still like to do our Cape Cod vacation, but next year we'll look at going back to Maryland first and Cape Cod will be our second choice. Cape Cod is a place of incredible beauty, but I note that in winter, the eastern moving snow storms never seem to miss the Cape, because it sticks so far out into the ocean. Think of it as a catcher's mitt for a snowball or snowfall. Maybe the weather will begin to even out as the summer progresses and someone else will want to attempt a Cape Cod vacation. If so, I'll have plenty of suggestions for things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    tasty, too bad about your trip up here and our ongoing lousy weather. At least you got to get out of here and spend a couple of days in a better weather pattern and climate in MD. Not only that but I also learned some things about accessible activities to do and see on the Cape while looking around for you. I'm glad you only spent 2 days here. This week the weather STILL sucks. 65 degrees and "light rain". This is almost July first. I've put the heat on every morning while I shit and shower and been wearing a turtleneck shirt under a sweatshirt since last September. Bought and planted flowers 3 weeks ago.....haven't had to water them yet! It's been awful all spring. Gray, dismal, rainy and raw. The whole country is experiencing a heat wave except New England. It warmer in Winnipeg, Canada than it is here. I'm looking at live TV in NY covering the Bernie Madoff sentencing and it's sunny and people are in short sleeved shirts. It's only a 3 hour drive away. Why I live here is beyond me. I'm ready to suck on a snub-nosed .38 except I don't have one and if I did it would probably be all rusty.
    That about sums up our last month. It would be great if we could see the sun for more thn a day. It too shall pass.

Yesterday...rainy and cold. Day before...,rainy and cold. Today right now at 11am. getting hammered by a thundering rain storm, 58 degrees and a house down the street was just hit by lightning this morning and suffered extensive damage. Suppose to suck the rest of the day too. Please pass the hemlock.

Yesterday....a fucking microburst hit my neighborhood and wiped out a lot of our plants and flowers with hail, torrential rain and very high winds. Shredded leaves are just plastered against the house. Flowers are ruined and plants have been ripped apart. We were fortunate as plenty of nearby homes had trees crashing down around them like like toothpicks. It's still only about 60 degrees here and lousy again today....god this summer has really sucked!
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 07-09-2009 at 09:33 PM.