Thread: Modification for transferring to handcycle

Modification for transferring to handcycle

Hello all, here are two photos of the modification I did so I can transfer much easier on my shoulders.

I usually transfer in the bike on the level ground, put my chair in the "well" and ride away. When I come back I ride to the top of the ramp in front of my chair and transfer to the chair. Really easy and no cost to do for me. Normally the chair is lower to the seat but I just had some gravel added to the chute.

fucking brilliant.............

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Hello all, here are two photos of the modification I did so I can transfer much easier on my shoulders.

I usually transfer in the bike on the level ground, put my chair in the "well" and ride away. When I come back I ride to the top of the ramp in front of my chair and transfer to the chair. Really easy and no cost to do for me. Normally the chair is lower to the seat but I just had some gravel added to the chute.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Nice one . Its all about the levels.

KISS, keep it simple stupid!

Hard to do.

Good job.

Pat

www.gofreewheel.com

Looks like a great idea! I use a handcycle with a higher seat simply b/c I couldn't handle the transfer. I will have to think about upgrading.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post

Very clevah! What make handcycle is that? I like the casing around the crank -- one less thing to scrape against.

Cool idea.

I wonder if there could be a portable version of your concept created by modifying a small floor jack to allow end users to raise or lower the level of their handcycles for transfers.

If nothing like that exists, I think our CC members who are engineer types should explore the concept. A few, who happen to have the letters "p", "a", and "t" in their names, come to mind.

I was thinking something like this might work. Not very portable but...

ATV Lift

My original idea was to make a foldable platform and mount it on a floor jack. Then I was thinking of just a platform with a ramp. The challenge with that was the length of the ramp to compensate for the heigth,10" or more, so the frame of the bike would not drag going from the ramp to the level platform. The side of the platform would have to be open somewhat so the chair could get close to the bike and also good anchoring points are needed so the bike would not "skid" or move off the platform when doing the transfer The length of the ramp plus the platform was going to be very long and take up too much space.

The "chute" idea came up when I pulled out a few small bushes next to my "manroom" workshop. I put it on the corner like it is to compensate for legroom and getting the chair/bike closer to each other.

The bike is the Freedomryder FRH-1 with the chainguard being a Top End XLT chainguard. I modified the clamp so that it would fit on the F/R. I really don't understand why these handcycle manufacturers don't put on proper clothing guards for the greasy chains. If a person wants to race and thinks these will cause drag, they can take them off. But for we recreational riders who don't want to ruin good biking shirts everytime they lean forward, dang, put on a cover somewhat to protect that.

I looked at that also Northquad. I just didn't want to spend the bucks unless I was sure it would work.