Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapered vs. V shaped front

Tapered vs. V shaped front

Is there a functional difference between these two? It is a $200 option on the TiLite TR. I have read one comment from SCI_OTR that the V front kept the bars off a clients leg. Is there any other rational?

I have the tapered front because I prefer the look of it. My chair is 18" wide with a 12" footrest width (6" narrower than seat width 4" taper), which is the most difference you can get without getting a V front end. My bars do not touch my legs, but my cushion keeps my legs fairly straight forward. The top few inches goes in like a V before going straight down so my legs are not against it. For someone in a narrower chair or whose knees are far apart this may be different.

I would be going with 18" wide and 12" footresr width as well. What cushion do you use? Also, what chair do you have?

Tilite TR with a custom Ride Designs cushion.

Any pictures Jeff?

Here is an old picture of when I first got it. The backrest and armrests are still way too high in the picture. It does not look so big now that it is adjusted. You can see how the front taper looks though. I did not put in a picture with the cushion because the only ones I had on my computer were of the first custom cushion that was made way too long and way to thick. It was remade and replaced without them giving me any grief though.

Those are 25 inch spinergy wheels and TiLite's 5 inch two piece billet aluminum soft roll castors. Roho Jetstream full height back.

Thanks Jeff.

hi briann

I've got tapered front.
    the chair width is 16"
    the front taper is 9"

Brian, I chose the V front, also an 18 down to 12. My legs splay out a bit, especially my right leg, possibly because there is no ACL in that knee from the wreck. I was a little worried about how much pressure would be hitting my lower leg down by the "kink" if my feet weren't just right. And I liked the look a little better.

Bunch of pics in my threads first post:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=116776
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Well it would seem that the only two reasons brought to light are, possible rubbing on legs and a visual preference, which is fine; I was simply curious if there was some "performance" difference between them.