Thread: Viva USA!

Viva USA!

Great result for the US national soccer side against European Champions Spain on Wednesday http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...cup-semi-final

A final against the mighty Brazil on Sunday but I think I'll be a US fan for the night.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

What's really sad is that despite this win so many people in the US still regard soccer as something 14 year olds play and don't pay that much attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    What's really sad is that despite this win so many people in the US still regard soccer as something 14 year olds play and don't pay that much attention to it.
    Apparently, if you count all the kids that play it, soccer is actually participated in by more people than any other sport in the US.

Maybe in another generation it will finally take off. I think major corporations will never stop trying because it is such a massive money spinner virtually everywhere else in the world with single players now changing clubs at fees of over $130 million.

The kind of annual revenue the game can bring to brands and TV networks is too big for them to give up in a nation of 300 million people. The Far East was cracked in the last decade, the Middle East is now far more heavily involved in the global game.

It's a shame, your national side is looking good.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

This was a HUGE win for the states, but hardly recognized as such. IMO, it's as big as our Olympic hockey win over the USSR.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    It is sad.

I am a huge sports fan. I grew up playing football and basketball while mocking soccer players (very common). That was until the World Cup came to Los Angeles. I had to park miles from the stadium and bused in with a bus full of Argintinian fans. We almost did not make it because they were so loud and crazy the bus driver threatened to turn around.

The game was played in 100 plus degrees. The entire stadium was overfilled with 110,000 plus fans who never stopped jumping up and down and screaming at the top of their lungs. What an incredible game. It changed my view on soccer.

interest in soccer in the US has grown a lot recently. You can finally see European and Latin American soccer on cable without paying extra. All those kids that have been playing soccer for the past 20 years have created a knowledgeable fan base.

my son watches premier league games all the time.