Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Caregiving to my c5 c6 husband

he wants his hands closed, open hands make it more difficult to do things,. mine are closed, if they werent id be screwed

the erg is a start, manual chair imo, is best at this point
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Hi jenniferh,

Read my comments to emie14 about how tight you want fingers to be, making sure to not be improperly stretching hands and tenodesis grip in this thread:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=120127

Everyone is wired up a bit differently so a c5, c6, or c7 quad hand function can vary but if he can bend his wrist back (extension = top of hand bends back towards arm) then he should be able to develop some sort of tenodesis grip. Some wrist turning side to side ability helps with control but is not essential. Tenodesis is not the same as an ordinary grip. It is not as strong or tight but it can be functional enough to pick things up. It takes practice to make it work better so start with light non-breakable, bulky stuff and gradually work your way smaller. Checkers or puzzles with the kids is good practice at first.
    Last edited by Jeff B; 06-24-2009 at 04:16 PM.

hello Jennifer...welcome to cc...things will settle down soon enough, some times not as quickly as we like tho, huh...it took a year for my son to get to a place where he was adjusted to his injury...lots of uti's...infections...exercise was difficult, but very important and it seem to take forever for his body to adjust to certain drugs he needed...you will get through this I promise...hugs, judy

I just feel so lost right now, and sooooo tired. So much is on my shoulders now, from being his sole caregiver to taking care of the house, the kids...everything. I just feel like I do as much as I can but nothing very well. I don't even know who I am anymore. I want him to get better and gain some independence but I'm not sure what to do anymore. You have given me some good tips as regards to exercise and I am going to try to get a manual chair as soon as we can afford one. If you are in a manual chair, do you have to have someone do your pressure reliefs every 30 minutes?

I'm a C4-5 complete quad and I make do, very happily, with four hours of care a day. Jennifer, you shouldn't have to do all personal care. Easy for me to say, but you both need to find common ground. Find a way to have mornings and evening care offloaded to a personal care attendant. That will happen anyway if your marriage fails.

I meet a lot of 50+ newbie quads. Expecting them to jump in a manual wheelchair and follow an anabolic steroid workout to build shoulders is unrealistic. IMHO

Jennifer, I was 41 with 3 kids 11,15 and 18 when I was hurt. C5 burst fracture from diving. It will be 10 yrs on july 4th, I'm now 51. It will get better, my wife is my sole caregiver and works full time. Just try not to worry so much about the little things, my wife still can't light the bbq, lol. He's still the same person, so he can still help with a lot of things. My family says I'm very good at telling them what to do, lol. He will continue to have improvements, even if they are very small. I always thank God I'm still around to be able to see my family grow. They'll get used to dad being in a chair. And sometimes you just have to laugh, even if at first it seems cruel, it's ok. At least he's still around to laugh with you. Hope this helps. Bob

Jen, I am no expert by any means...others will chime in I'm sure but if your husband does not currently (not to say with more pt he won't get the strength and balance) have the strength and balance necessary to do weight shifts and pressure reliefs, he could fall out of a manual...balance was really difficult for my son...age is a lot to think about as well...my son is 40...your husband is 50...manuals eventually take a toll on the body...and keeping up with youngsters and playing with them on the grass etc, is something to keep in mind...perhaps he could do both! let the house go...I can relate to the doing everything...and not doing any of it very well...I have been known to run out and buy new undies just because it was easier than doing laundry...and thank goodness for paper plates and hamburger helper and salads in a bag...and frozen foods...I told ya before, but it is worth saying again..."TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF" judy

You guys have no idea how much it helps to hear from other people who "get it". It helps me not feel so alone and I don't like talking to my husband about how frustrated, scared, helpless I feel because I don't want him to feel badly.

I have another question, how can a quad at his level ever be by himself? I can't leave him alone because he can't do anything for himself.

I'm home all day by myself. I've gotten to the point where I can even cook on the foreman grill( it took a while though to learn). Use this site to find answers to all your questions. A lot of the things I use were designed for very lazy people, lol

there are sveral of us here around his level that are totally ind, work full time, drive a car are home owners ect. it can be done, its not easy to get there but once you do it, then its 2nd nature. . i dont agree w/ pc at all, i never used one, sure its rough pushing at first but its the only way he will learn.

i will say his age may hinder him.

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferh View Post
    You guys have no idea how much it helps to hear from other people who "get it". It helps me not feel so alone and I don't like talking to my husband about how frustrated, scared, helpless I feel because I don't want him to feel badly.

I have another question, how can a quad at his level ever be by himself? I can't leave him alone because he can't do anything for himself.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer