Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Caregiving to my c5 c6 husband

Caregiving to my c5 c6 husband

My husband was injured 11 months ago playing with our daughter on a chin up bar that was only 3 feet high and he was showing her how to go over it and the bar gave way and he now a c5 c6 quadriplegic. We have a 2 and 4 year old boy and girl and I am the only caretaker of all of them. I feel like I'm falling apart mentally and physically. We cannot afford to hire any outside caretaking help, so it's just me. I can't get a break because we cannot afford to have anyone come in. I use a hoyer lift but dealing with him is so physically demanding, I just don't know how much more I can take. I'm exhausted and all I want to do is cry. Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jenniferh,
    My husband is a year and a half post injury. He has a T 4 complete para. He is pretty independent though.
    I am so sorry for you and your family!!! My heart aches for you. I can imagine how difficult things are for you. I know I struggel with my husbands injury and it is not near as difficult to deal with as yours.
    I hit a real rough patch a couple of weeks ago and wrote on this site. It has brought me more comfort than anything else I have found. There is a woman who refered me to a support group for care takers. She would be very helpful to you.
    I wish I was better at computers cause I would send you her info. I will look and try.
    I dont have any help to offer but I can feel for you! I wish there was a way I could help. You and your family are in my prayers!

Under the caregiving forum is my post. It is titled "wondering if I would be better off dead". Was having a very rough time when I wrote but some of the others that wrote back to me will have some great resources for you. Try to read it and contact them for help!

Thank you. I just don't know what to do and feel like there is no where to go. My husband has virtually no independence. He can brush his teeth if I set him up to do it but I have to help him rinse. He can eat cut up food if I set him up in his feeding aparatus. Other than that I have to do everything for him and I am soooooo tired and feel so isolated. I don't want to be so whiny but no one who is not in the same boat really understands what the days are like, and they never go away. I just wonder how we are going to keep on going like this, especially with two babies.

at 5/6 he has a chance for independance, it takes time, took me 5 yrs to become ind. is he working out and pushing a manual. what muscles r firing.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

No, he is in a power chair. He has no triceps. His hands don't function, some bicep, no trunk control at all. How in the world are you independent?

hard work. got to get his shoulders crazy strong. how old is he. watch my videos in the life section. tri's arent nec for ind
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Ok, I'm new here and not very computer saavy. I will try to find the life section. How do you get your shoulders crazy strong? He just turned 50.

I keep up a blog where you can see some pictures of him at:

www.caringbridge.org/visit/alanhenley

first thing i suggest is he start pushing, only way to develop those muscles. get an uppertone and or vitaglide to build him up. looks like his bi's and shoulders are fine, yes.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=50721
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=119596
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

He has bad contractures in his fingers so when he puts his hands downs they are in a fist on his left hand. Do your hands lay flat?

He's been working on an ergometer, do you think that will help too?