Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: my afo / freaky leg cover

I've been on my old bike a few times on a trainer. I have use of my quads and that is about it below the waist, so the floppiness with my articulated AFOs are useless. I'm going to take your pictures down to the local orthotics guys and see if we can work something out.

I was using SPD cleats on my cyclocross bike, and Look style on my road bike. I can't imagine being able to clip in and out of either now, but I'll give it a few tries.

Thanks for the info
    -- JB
    Don't anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Bondo you could try a shimano multi release (silver) cleat with your SPD's if you are game they are a lot easier to get out of the pedal. XT level pedals are easier to get into and out of compared to the cheaper ones.
    First post just found this forum - good to see people still cycling rather than giving up!

Cycling AFO

Live to Ride can you let me know who you are using for your custom AFO I'm 6 foot 95kg and have not been able to find anyone who understands cycling or is willing to have a go. I cycled round the world before I got muscular dystophy (myotonic) so you could say I'm pretty serious about my cycling

Bondo - how do you go without hip flexors though (I mean to pull up or even unload the leg on the upstroke) and gluts (I think they are pretty important in stabilising the pelvis as well as pushing down)?

Hammer - I went to the P&O dept. at the local hospital, took along all my research - photo's of other paracyclists in AFO's, journal articles, discussions with my physio and coach etc, and basically discussed what I wanted with them. They were willing to help out and they came up with what you saw.

So 8 days and 400km later and no problems so far - no rubbing, no pressure points and I feel like I'm getting good power transfer. Its also straightened up my leg a lot (I used to flop in at the knee and hit the top tube all the time - I think from weak abductors?).

I was thrilled to find this forum (and this thread) and I love the leg cover.

My foot drop resulted from a cancer-related peroneal nerve resection. My leg is significantly atrophied from the knee down.

I have a spinning bike at home and I usually spin without the brace. I guess I'm afraid of putting too much pressure on it and causing it to break. Is anyone else spinning/riding without a brace?

I'll have to check out the blue-rocker....

Baetis

Anyone try a Walk On?

I got tired of replacing the BlueRocker. 3 in a year was too much. The manufacturer would not replace it the after the third time. So my orthotist suggested a different AFO. That's when I went to a Walk ON AFO. I'm 6'2, 228lbs. I've had the current AFO for 2 years. I bike, bowl, walk approx 2 miles a day and I STILL haven't broken it. http://www.ottobock.com/cps/rde/xchg....xsl/1448.html

Anyway, just an idea.....

I could not ride my trike without afo's my ankles buckle and foot slides off of t pedals. good leg does all the pushing but the good ankle is not terrible strong and will fatigue and bend after a short time. so use afo on both legs.

i started wearing the sleeves on both legs this tear, aleady wearing shorts heat reActs to meds. my skin bone is bone bruised due to the afo so havent been wearing it ,unless was going far.

low and behold, i dont need the afo, i taped the ankle and was walking ok
    i need to find a non elastic ankle brace, such as a aircast a01or mcdavid ultralite lace up.
    so will see how long i can go afo free,
    last year i could only go 300 ft, before pain won
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    i started wearing the sleeves on both legs this tear, aleady wearing shorts heat reActs to meds. my skin bone is bone bruised due to the afo so havent been wearing it ,unless was going far.

low and behold, i dont need the afo, i taped the ankle and was walking ok
    i need to find a non elastic ankle brace, such as a aircast a01or mcdavid ultralite lace up.
    so will see how long i can go afo free,
    last year i could only go 300 ft, before pain won
    I have an ankle brace that works great. It laces up and gives great support on my right ankle which is weaker and I tend to drag when I am tierd.

http://www.braceshop.com/productcart...is-186p831.htm

I tried the lace up thingy, and other kinds of otc supports, its ok for side to side support, in that my ankle wont buckle, but lifting the toes are a problem. so mine is in a fixed position with the footplate going all the way to the toes. I can't see how anyone with foot drop could use the otc braces, because even the weight of a shoe pulls my foot towards the ground leaving me to trip over my toes. so I must lift at the hip and lean to one side to take a step without mafo. and without the ankle strap my foot slides foward and out of the front. the padded ankle strap keeps the foot to the back of the brace and rigid so my feet are at a 90 degree angle to the leg