Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my afo / freaky leg cover

my afo / freaky leg cover

i hate the look of that white AFO, and i cant take the heat, so have to wear shorts now.
    this is my fix, start a new fashion.
    this is with the afo off, and on, a bit wrinkled, have to iron that out,
    cauda equina

for some reason couldn't get the with afo pic, think the pics were too big, well here it b
    cauda equina

I've almost gotten over the looks now but i reckon your on the right track Mike. Everyone has to have a look anyway, so might as well leave them really wondering whether you just like weird long socks or there is something else going on.
    I am thinking about 'decorating' my cycling specific AFO. Not sure whether club logo/emblem, state colours then country colours/flag would be to tacky (ie all the levels I've represented - to be added to as I go).

cycling specific AFO - as in Bicycling, not hand cycling? It keeps your ankle from flopping around like a wet fish?

If so, do you have some pictures?

-- JB
    Don't anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Spot on - its to stop my foot flopping around like a wet fish and allows me to use the quads and hip flexors which work v. well (I mainly have weakness in glut/hammie and then have 0/5 below the knee on R leg). It also helps to have clipin pedals and zero-float cleats - so the leg has no choice but to follow the pedal around. The tricky thing is pedaling 'circles' with my left leg, but more like a piston (up and down) with my right. I also wear the BlueRocker all the time (to walk).

Not sure if this will work as haven't tried adding images before....

This is the new AFO. This is the test #1, out of plastic but reinforced for stiffness. In slight plantarflexion - turns out to be just about the right angle I think. If it works OK, then it will be used as the model for a carbon fibre brace that will be still stiffer and last longer (and look cooler). I like the shell at the front of my leg as most of the pressure goes there when you push down - and I can feel my leg on the front and inside, no feeling on the outside, back of the calf or the foot. I'm convinced this also helps with knowing where my foot actually is (propreception?).

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/picture...pictureid=1764
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/picture...pictureid=1763

And this is me with the old brace - a 'BlueRocker' off the shelf carbon/kevlar AFO. It was actually quite good for general cycling, but not up to the sort of pressure that I put on it doing standing track starts for a 500m time trial! This was the 3rd brace in a year as I snapped the other two.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/picture...pictureid=1766
    Last edited by live2ride; 06-24-2009 at 05:01 AM.

I don't mind the white AFO. What I really couldn't stand were my early AFOs in 'skin - mannequin color'. It didn't match my skin and , what, is it supposed to make it look like I don't have a brace on? Please.... So I got rid of the mannequin color AFO and went with white. I don't believe it would have matched anyone's skin color plus of course one wears a sock underneath that. Is that supposed to be a sickly mannequin color for the total effect? You can see that I was annoyed with it. I think I would rather have people see why I walk so strangely right away. I couldn't do the metroguy cover since I already have patterned lycra covers (leopard) on my crutches.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

i never so leopard cover crutches b4 , cool.
    yeah, the white afo with shorts draws everyone's eye anyhow, i can go without the afo, for longer distance now due to special sauce. Use to be about 100 feet, now i can go a lot further, but i am all over the place, drifting right ,drifting left, even with the afo i am hard for people to walk alongside, due to my steering. it is like i have a bent rudder that i have to correct every 10 feet, but it gets me there! i tried to cut down obr of my old afo's just to give me ankle break protection. many times i could get away with that, but it didnt come out quite right. i cant put any elastic type brace on my foot, that causes problems. these are the type of things none of the docs realized was going on, i realized after changing to a brace without a low ankle strap, that a lot of foot swelling went away. same for elastic anywhere on the forefoot, turned my toes into sausages
    he skin is an arm warmer for bicycle riders, they have different colors abd patterns. Jenson had a couple of the tattoo type on sale. if you look around or search for bicycling arm warmers , there are plenty of different patterns now.
    They used to be all plain black lyrica.
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride View Post
    If it works OK, then it will be used as the model for a carbon fibre brace that will be still stiffer and last longer (and look cooler). I like the shell at the front of my leg as most of the pressure goes there when you push down - and I can feel my leg on the front and inside, no feeling on the outside, back of the calf or the foot. I'm convinced this also helps with knowing where my foot actually is (propreception?).[/URL]
    i like that front portion, i have a preety good muscle in my upper leg, quad, the hammy is ok, but definetly atrophied compared to the good side. i can pull up if clipped in. i went to bebop clipless pedals when i was first trying to ride again. the speed play only release in one direction, and that is the direction i have no strength in. your shin covering front type afo would have helped out a lot there. i will try and repost your pics when i get home, those type of afo's i have never seen here.
    by off the shelf blue rocker afo, can you really get one off the shelf? about how much are they there?
    i always try to remember to ask, since i know medical stuff that cost $100 here may cost under $2 in some countries.
    i have recently sttarted using a kick bike, i have a good side and a weak side, so the kickbike works out real well.
    cauda equina

I just go new afo's they are black with red velcro. though darkeyed daisy just got a titanium set. they are cut out, with sides but no front or back. no sweating.

The BlueRocker is bl**dy expensive. Around the $900 in Australia if I remember correctly - but they make a number of different types depending on how support you need, and if it breaks they will repace it up to two times. I had the ToeOFF first - that delaminated around the bottom of the strut, went to a small BlueRocker which snapped halfway up the strut - then to a medium BlueRocker with the footplate cut down (I'm 166cm, 61kg with smallish feet) which is holding up fine and I still use it for walking full-time. http://www.allardusa.com/pdf/Egg_Letter.pdf

I use Shimano dura-ace pedals as they have a nice wide attachment - can't clip out with the bad leg though - have to reach down and pull my heel out to unclip.