Thread: Baclofen for GERD/ ACID REFLUX?

Baclofen for GERD/ ACID REFLUX?

Hello all,

Found this blurb on the net about Baclofen's use in controlling GERD/ACID reflux.

Has anyone heard of this or tried it for reflux? I found this quite interesting, as Baclofen is an anti-spasmotic, yet in the narrative below, it apparently INHIBITS relaxation of the LES sphinctor?

"Anti-Spasm Drugs to Prevent Acid and Non-Acid Reflux
    Most drugs used for GERD have no effect on non-acid reflux, such as back-up of bile. Baclofen, known as a gamma-amino butyric acid agonist, is commonly used to reduce muscle spasms. Investigators are now showing that is can reduce both acid and non-acid reflux episodes (as much as 70% in one study) and to increase LES pressure, an important factor for preventing back up."

John, California

based on my research, they tested it with children and it reduced the effect during the test period. They also said that it has no side effects. However, I don't rely too much on drugs. I also research some alternative ways and according to Dr. Mercola "Acid Reflux Caused by Too Little Acid, Not Too Much". You can read his article here to know the safe and effective strategies that can eliminate acid reflux or GERD - http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-Too-Much.aspx