Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get medicare ! Please help !

How to get medicare ! Please help !

I am a 34 years old paraplegic T7-8 complete since 4 years ago ! I am covered only by Medicaid/Publicaid of Illinois ! Now i need to get Medicare because they will cover a new medication pump called Prialt for chronic pain ! I have realy bad neuropathic pain since the accident and i have try everything from lyrica ,gabapentin,cymbalta opana, percoset etc. and nothing seems to work so thios expensive mediaction Prialt will be my last resort but only medicare will cover it ! I was trying to talk to lawyers to apply for it but they said i will get it only after i am getting SSI /SSD .SS departament did not aprove me yet for this because i am not US citizen yet ,i am permanent resident only (i will get citzenship in 2 years) and also i do not have enough points for SSD. My doctor said i might get Medicare being permanently handicaped and with major depression issues but i could not find a layer will know about this yet !
    Anyone gone thru this application to get medicare ,please help advice!
    My pain is taking me down day by day and i feel i can not make iit no more !
    Blue skies!!

Quote Originally Posted by alextaz View Post
    I am a 34 years old paraplegic T7-8 complete since 4 years ago ! I am covered only by Medicaid/Publicaid of Illinois ! Now i need to get Medicare because they will cover a new medication pump called Prialt for chronic pain ! I have realy bad neuropathic pain since the accident and i have try everything from lyrica ,gabapentin,cymbalta opana, percoset etc. and nothing seems to work so thios expensive mediaction Prialt will be my last resort but only medicare will cover it ! I was trying to talk to lawyers to apply for it but they said i will get it only after i am getting SSI /SSD .SS departament did not aprove me yet for this because i am not US citizen yet ,i am permanent resident only (i will get citzenship in 2 years) and also i do not have enough points for SSD. My doctor said i might get Medicare being permanently handicaped and with major depression issues but i could not find a layer will know about this yet !
    If you do not have enough points for SSDI, you will not be entitled to Medicare. You have to work and pay into the system to get Medicare/SSDI.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10043.html#part3

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10029.html#part1
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 06-23-2009 at 09:58 PM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Do yourself a favor and stay away from Prialt. You have to have it in a baclofen pump and I had a really bad experience with it. It did absolutely nothing for my pain besides make it a lot sharper, if not a lot worse. I tried it when it just got approval by the FDA and it was the biggest mistake I ever made. It really screwed up my memory and I'm still having major problems with my memory because of it. I have a really hard time remembering what people say and often completely forget conversations. I have to make sure that someone goes with me to every doctors appointment that I go to or else make sure I get all the notes from the doctor or else I'll completely forget what they said. I once went to a friends house and within two days, I completely forgot the whole experience and that I was even there. That really frustrated her to the point that she doesn't even talk to me anymore. Check out my post here to look at all my notes that I put down when I used it. I found that the side effects were pretty common in people who are trying it.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by alextaz View Post

What country are you from? Can't you apply for it there?

Sorry, it would seem you did not work for enough quarters to get Federal Social Security disability.

Perhaps you can talk to the drug compnay. They sometimes provide medications to those that cannot afford it.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    What country are you from? Can't you apply for it there?
    Good question!

I really am sorry...but...just because you are a para with serious medical issues does not mean you are intitled to medicare...especially since you have not paid into the system as Daisy has stated...apply the money you will pay a lawyer to your medical issues...bottom line...you didn't pay into the system...be greatful you get medicaid...and like liz said, often times the drug company's will give some assistance...I wish you well...

thank you for your all replys and toughts! Probably now i got enough points for medicare cause i have still work and paid social security! Last time i have applied for medicare was in 2006 and got denied for being less with just few points! But anyway i will not get medicare unless i got ssi/ssd for 2 years ,lawyers said! And my pain is now and need to be taken care of !
    Thanks Ryebread for sharing your Prialt experience with ! Made me think twice about this! My doctor said does not have any side effects and i took it for granted!
    I am from Romania and this medicine Prialt is not approved there yet !
    I am still approved for morphine pump ! But I am scared about morphine cause i know can create dependence ! Any feedback about this morphine pump???!
    Blue skies!!

I think any medication, especially pain medication, not just morphine, can become addictive and create dependance. If thats what is covered now and you need to get pain relief then do that. Just my thoughts.

Best of luck to you!!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

morphine fas been around for a real long time.
    50 plus years?
    we know enoufh about its long term side ffects, which are really nothing compared to a lot of newer medicines.
    there is a big difference between addiction and dependence.
    try the oral mprphine, it is a cake walk compared to prialt pump implant, or any pump implant
    cauda equina