Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling the need to pee 24/7 ????

Feeling the need to pee 24/7 ????

My son (T-12 ASIA A Complete 7 mo. post) told me yesterday that he feels like he has to pee ALL the time, 24/7. Before AND after cathing 24/7. I asked him if this was new and he said "it's been like this since day one". He's never mentioned this before and it was only after asking him about different things e.g., new sensations, new movements, changes... . that he mentioned it. He said is terribly annoying.

My question: Is this normal for SCI? I can't imagine. Of course, all this SCI stuff is mind boggling and normal isn't normal any more.

History: He's had 2 UTI's (one in rehab and one shortly after he came home) He caths every 4 hours (ALMOST) We've never seen a urologist not even in rehab

I'm going to make an appointment with a urologist first thiing in the morning, but thought you guys could provide some feedback PLEASE!!!
    FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

i have that too, plus some times you feel like you are peeing or leaking but you not some times you are. Did the bladder study twice, pressure is good medication is working everything else you have to deal with. Dont stress about it slowly find somewhat of a balance.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Another "benefit" of sci I'm afraid. Mine is, feeling like I have to crap 24/7, before/after doesn't matter, still there.

All he can do is try and get used to it, not easy I know. If there was the slightest change in it, he might be able to use that to tell when to cath, but if totally constant, gotta grin and bear it.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I'm an L1 injury and I had this too in the beginning, whether or not I had an active UTI. For me, riding in the car made it even worse, which was maddening. Luckily, it eventually just went away. Now, I have pretty much zero sensation in that whole region ("saddle area", bladder, bowel). I'll take zero over the crazy abnormal sensation anyday.

Going to see a urologist is a good idea no matter what...try to find one with some SCI experience if you can.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

yep. All the time feels like I need to pee. It's maddening
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithful1990 View Post
    My son (T-12 ASIA A Complete 7 mo. post) told me yesterday that he feels like he has to pee ALL the time, 24/7. Before AND after cathing 24/7. I asked him if this was new and he said "it's been like this since day one". He's never mentioned this before and it was only after asking him about different things e.g., new sensations, new movements, changes... . that he mentioned it. He said is terribly annoying.

My question: Is this normal for SCI? I can't imagine. Of course, all this SCI stuff is mind boggling and normal isn't normal any more.

History: He's had 2 UTI's (one in rehab and one shortly after he came home) He caths every 4 hours (ALMOST) We've never seen a urologist not even in rehab

I'm going to make an appointment with a urologist first thiing in the morning, but thought you guys could provide some feedback PLEASE!!!
    How is it that no one insisted that your son have a urologic evaluation? It's essential that to choose a urologist that specializes in treating neurogenic bladders. Anyone with a SCI must have a urodynamic study to measure the filling and voiding pressures of the bladder. That may at least provide you with some insight into the his sensing a constant urge to pee.

A couple of things to keep in mind: Your son's injury is still very recent and his body is still adjusting -- he may have only emerged from spinal shock, where many of the body's reflexes below the lesion level shut down. There are also certain foods that are irritating to the bladder. For me, I discovered that orange juice was giving me the sensation you're describing, plus it was creating more accidents. Coffee is even worse.

The post-SCI bladder is one very mischievous organ. It's really tough to sort out its behavior and there is incredible variation in bladder behavior along the SCI spectrum. I have gotten incredible results from Botox injections, as have many others. It may be a tad premature to pursue this with your soon-to-be-discovered urologist, but you should definitely inquire about it and ask if he/she has experience with it.

Keep us posted. And best of luck to you and your son!

[quote=stephen212;1059231]How is it that no one insisted that your son have a urologic evaluation? It's essential that to choose a urologist that specializes in treating neurogenic bladders.

Well, he went to TIRR Houston for his Phase I Acute therapy, need I say more.... (we'll never again darken their doorway) They taught ONE class for 45 minutes about bladder care and it didn't even scratch the surface of the bladder issues for SCI. It's only because of this site that I am educated enough to even ask him questions and know to send him to a urologist. Thank you CareCure Community!!!

Oh my... I can't begin to imagine this 'feeling to pee' will last forever. I was shocked when he told me it's been there snce the beginning.

Fortunately, I am blessed with an incredible young man that never complains despite SCI and all that comes with it.
    Thank you all for your feedback, it truly helps!

It may just be the injury level. Since he is still heeling lets hope that it goes away soon. I have pretty much had this since my injury. Some days are worse than others.

Somedays I feel like I am wetting my pants and the feeling goes down my legs. I check and everything is dry and I don't need to pee at all. Its like I feel the water going down the backs of my legs. Yet when I actually have an accident I can't feel it.

The sensations are quite strange for me at times. You do learn to deal with it though.

Sometimes if the need to pee is really intense, it can be your first indication that you may be getting a UTI. The urge gets quite worse when you have a UTI. That is when I start pushing lots of water. A UTI doesnt always show up on the urinalysis when the urge gets more intense or in my experience it hasnt.

He definitely needs to be followed by urologist. I am amazed that he did not see one in rehab. They ran lots of funky tests on the sphincter when I was in rehab in the 80's.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

t7-8, and yes, it is the same for me. It has been 4 years, and now I sort of ignore it, but if I think about it, it is still there. I guess you could compare it a bit t the idea that if you start wearing something all the time that is annoying, after a while you don;t notice it as much?

And yes, I have had all the urodynamics, it is just something that is part of the whole sci thing for me.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005