Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who have a job, how do you fit in a workout?

I work 9 hours a day and do a 1 hour workout right after work. I usually hit the weights pretty hard, so I wake up pretty quick. My advice for finding the energy is to simply make up your mind its going to happen.

Now consider the fact that I will be 44 this summer, so all you youngin's have no excuse...

Its all attitude!! Besides, I talk to all kinds of people at the gym...I just do so in passing and always stop to drop a compliment on the folks I see a lot. So, I guess it's kinda social too...

agreed chip. bottom line it has to be a lifestyyle

Quote Originally Posted by ChipS View Post
    I work 9 hours a day and do a 1 hour workout right after work. I usually hit the weights pretty hard, so I wake up pretty quick. My advice for finding the energy is to simply make up your mind its going to happen.

Now consider the fact that I will be 44 this summer, so all you youngin's have no excuse...

Its all attitude!! Besides, I talk to all kinds of people at the gym...I just do so in passing and always stop to drop a compliment on the folks I see a lot. So, I guess it's kinda social too...
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I had this conversation w/ my wife yesterday, actually. It's VERY easy for me to pack my day so full that some days I don't even make time to stand for a whopping 15-30min. There is truth to the lifestyle claim (what if you were a pro athlete?), but a lot of it is simply just managing your time & making it a non-negotiable priority, like ADLs.

I suck at it.

Finding it tough now?? Wait to y'all have kids!

I have just started going to our fitness center pool in the early mornings before work.

All the kids make it impossible to go any other time.

I wish we would have had one back home. My daughter would have loved going with me.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I carry thera-bands with me in my 'fabulous Marni big purse!' and keep some at work in my mail bin. I also leave a 10lb weight at work and 2 8lb'ers by my bed. My co-workers (dispatchers can't leave the phone so therefore can't leave the office) appreciate and use them as well.

If I exercise (blah!), it's at night before I go to bed. Stomach crunches, stretching, etc. If I'm not pooped out from work ... going back full-time has been a bit of a struggle, as I knew it would be, from having almost a year off work in bed.

I wish my wounds would heal so I could swim! I haven't gone swimming since I was 17!!! I was prepared to go for a little wheel today but the thunderstorm squashed that idea!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'd rather not work out at night, especially because I get a weird high and find it hard to come down in time to go to sleep at a decent hour. Apparently, I'm not the only one. http://searchwarp.com/swa59094.htm

I think I'm going to kick my own ass and get up at 5 am to go for a swim every other day, and then fit in a track session after work on the other days before dinner. I agree that it's probably just a matter of doing it a couple of times before it becomes a habit and I can fit it in, along with all the other stuff I like to do.

Thanks for the suggestions!

i seperate the two completely. i worked 14 hrs. yesterday. i am blown. my job is hard - metalwork. today i am resting & doing paperwork {i own my buisness} but that is still work that needs doing. on days i workout - always in the outdoors - that's what i do that day. no work. and yes, i am tired all the time. Steve.

I usually work out on a versatrainer every day for at least 20 minutes, also when I watch TV I hate commercials and often pick up a free weight to kill time while they are trying to sell me stuff.

I was motivated yesterday at an athletic competition for wheelers up In Saginaw - Thunder in the Valley. In addition to track and field and swimmming and air rifle they had a weight lifting event. While I was spectating I noticed a small woman in a power chair complete with headrest, I saw that she had a weighlifter's bib on which I felt must be an affectation as she was quite small and was using a power chair. I observed she seemed to be running the event and seemed knowlegeable. Then she got out of her chair, walked stiffly to the bench and bench pressed 250lbs. My eyes almost dropped out of my head - the woman was tiny and they had to lower the bar so she could reach it with her short arms. Someone told me she can actually bench about 300lbs and is a para olympian.

Today I did an extra fifteen miunutes on the versatrainer.

This is embarrassing, I have no "proper" workout. Every day is a work out, from dragging ice out of a cooler, and loading it on the truck, to getting on a boat that doesn't behave like the good old ground.

Today I tried my hardest to keep up a pace that was ludicrous, I did and I conquered. It was a total shock to me, I out paced myself, and lived another day. Feels good, hurts, aches, no falls, no errors. I came home after an intense 4 hours and crashed, for 3. I needed it, and it felt good.

Every day is another challenge, and another adventure. I'm doing more now than I could a year ago. To think when I came out of a coma 5 1/2 years ago, I wished I was dead. I hope it just keeps getting better.

As for a workout, do whatever you can do and keep at it. Treat everything as a workout, and one up anything. Right now I'm doing ankle lifts on an old maple desk, about 200 lbs to kill the spasticity. I can't rest, it's not in me.

Oh, and for all that are wondering, I'm not quite a young punk, [actualy in my mind I am] I just turned 50 a few weeks ago. Party on..... Game has begun.