Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr.Wise pls help - Recent Injury to my Mother

Dr.Wise pls help - Recent Injury to my Mother

Dear Dr. Wise Young et al,

I am new to this forum and has been reading many posts and following many over the past few weeks. I am turning for your help and advise over treatment and recovery options.

My mother (57 years) recently ( April 25 , 2009) fell from a height of 15 feet and has L1-L5 level injury. She fell on her butt in a sitting position. After that fall her left foot has had a very major swelling and was almost twice the size of the right leg. The swelling was right from the hip onwards to the ankle, it has reduced eversince , but some swelling still persists. She underwent a surgery and rods have been planted at the L2/5 - Right side and L3/5 on Left side. I am attaching her Discharge Summary and MRI-Reports for your reference as I could not interpret them.

1.After her accident she has reduced bladder and bowel movement though She can tell when she has bladder and bowel feelings.

2. She is able to move her legs/ankles ( Right leg has much better movement ) and can pull her legs towards her chest while in a sleeping position.Knee jerk reflex is not there.

3. She has been on bed for the past 6 weeks (Complete bed rest) and was made to sit the day before (June 14th, 2009). She can sit for 30 mins after which she feels some pain in the back. She was made to walk ( very few steps ) with a walker.

4. She has sensory feeling but complains of some numbness around the butt region ( she says numbness is similar to the feel we get while holding ice cubes for long) . Some numbness is present over the legs as well.

5. What treatments would be best suitable for a recovery?

6. What type of stem cell treatment would be beneficial for such injuries? I have contacted Dr.Alok Sharma from Mumbai , India over e-mail and he said that stem cell treatment might be an option considering her conditions.

Please help us , as back home we do not get any information or answers on the level of injury or operation details until we ask detailed questions. And unfortunately we do not know what all questions to ask. My entire family is in a shock over this incident and are in deep anguish. I have been looking for help in all directions and am lost over the options available. and what to do next.

Kindly provide your thoughts on the attached discharge and MRI report & please show us the way forward for our situation. I eagerly wait for your reply. Lastly, words fall short to explain my gratitude for the wealth of information and awareness you have created about this topic and for your continued research to find a cure for SCI.

Regards..
    Last edited by Krish_Vsp; 06-19-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krish_Vsp View Post
    Dear Dr. Wise Young et al,

I am new to this forum and has been reading many posts and following many over the past few weeks. I am turning for your help and advise over treatment and recovery options.

My mother (57 years) recently ( April 25 , 2009) fell from a height of 15 feet and has L1-L5 level injury. She fell on her butt in a sitting position. After that fall her left foot has had a very major swelling and was almost twice the size of the right leg. The swelling was right from the hip onwards to the ankle, it has reduced eversince , but some swelling still persists. She underwent a surgery and rods have been planted at the L2/5 - Right side and L3/5 on Left side. I am attaching her Discharge Summary and MRI-Reports for your reference as I could not interpret them.

1.After her accident she has reduced bladder and bowel movement though She can tell when she has bladder and bowel feelings.

2. She is able to move her legs/ankles ( Right leg has much better movement ) and can pull her legs towards her chest while in a sleeping position.Knee jerk reflex is not there.

3. She has been on bed for the past 6 weeks (Complete bed rest) and was made to sit the day before (June 14th, 2009). She can sit for 30 mins after which she feels some pain in the back. She was made to walk ( very few steps ) with a walker.

4. She has sensory feeling but complains of some numbness around the butt region ( she says numbness is similar to the feel we get while holding ice cubes for long) . Some numbness is present over the legs as well.

5. What treatments would be best suitable for a recovery?

6. What type of stem cell treatment would be beneficial for such injuries? I have contacted Dr.Alok Sharma from Mumbai , India over e-mail and he said that stem cell treatment might be an option considering her conditions.

Please help us , as back home we do not get any information or answers on the level of injury or operation details until we ask detailed questions. And unfortunately we do not know what all questions to ask. My entire family is in a shock over this incident and are in deep anguish. I have been looking for help in all directions and am lost over the options available. and what to do next.

Kindly provide your thoughts on the attached discharge and MRI report & please show us the way forward for our situation. I eagerly wait for your reply. Lastly, words fall short to explain my gratitude for the wealth of information and awareness you have created about this topic and for your continued research to find a cure for SCI.

Regards..
    Krish,

The summaries are very clear. Your mother has a cauda equina syndrome, due to injury to the spinal roots below L1. She appears to be recovering and she should be standing and starting to walk. The goal is to enhance her recovery as much as possible in the coming months. She appears to be gaining function back on all fronts, including bladder. In a year or so, she will reach a plateau and we should then discuss solutions for specific remaining problems. There is no single solution (stem cell or otherwise) for cauda equina injury. It is useful to take on one problem at a time and come up with individual solutions after she has recovered as much as possible on her own.

Wise.

Many thanks for your inputs Dr.Wise. You are hope for thousands of patients and their family members. I pray to God to steer you towards your life ambitions and finding a cure for this.

YOU & YOUR TEAM ARE WONDERFUL !

Krish

Many thanks for your inputs Dr.Wise. You are hope for thousands of patients and their family members. I pray to God to steer you towards your life ambitions and finding a cure for this.

YOU & YOUR TEAM ARE WONDERFUL !

Krish
    You are of course very welcome. That is what we at CareCure want to do. By the way, where is your mother getting her rehabilitation. I assume that this is in India. Is it at the Indian Spinal Injuries Center in Delhi? I visited that rehabilitation center several years ago and met Mr. Ahluwalia.

In August, I am planning to visit the Apollo Hospital System in Delhi. They are very interested in spinal cord injury and muscular dystrophy clinical trials.

Wise.

Yes Dr.Wise , this is indeed in India. But my family is in the Southern part of India ( city called Visakhapatnam), Delhi is up north. Currently she is at our home and a Physiotherapist is providing her some exercises at home. She is able to sit for interval of 1hr right now and taking small steps with the help of walker and support from 2 people. I was actually planning to take her to Apollo Hospital in Chennai this August where they are providing some Lokomat training.

May I ask you the best way to enhance her recovery. This is the part where I am so confused/lost and need your suggestion. On one hand I am feeling that we are losing valuable time waiting for her to pick up while on the other I feel we may be putting too much pressure too early. Do you advise he to be joined in an IN-PATIENT rehad center like the Indian Spinal Injuries Center or Apollo Delhi ?

Also , I stay is US ( Washington DC) and tried reaching your offices today to meet you in New Jersey. I have visited my mother on April 28th ( 3 days after her accident) and was there with her for 20 days. Now I am planning to go again in August to India. Currently my sister is assisting my mother. I fact that I am far away from her is also painful but unaviodable as well if I have to provide her with good medical aid/care. I am gathering as much information as possible from here by calling the hospitals. Please advise me on the best way forward.

Thanks as always !

Krish .
    ---------------
    www.justadollarplease.org
    "Journey of a thousand miles begins with a small step"

Suggestion..

Dear Krish,
    I think i can be of some help here. Instead of Appolo, Chennai, you can seriously consider CMC Vellore, Tamilnadu. There is direct train connectivity between Vizag(your town) and Vellore and CMC has a very good PMR Dept as well as a big Rehabilitation Institute at Bagayam in Vellore. I myself have been there several times and can vouch for the quality of the treatment, care as well as knowledge of the Doctors. You can contact the PMR Dept over the dierct ph no 0416-3072158. The no of CMC Vellore is 04162283429/04163072158. You can ask for an appointment in advance with Dr George Tharion (Head -PMR) or Dr Henry Prakash whom i consult. Since i stay in the eastern part of India and can't visit CMC all the time, whenever there is any problem, i just give Dr Henry a call and he has always been there for me even though i first went there in 2003 after my injury.

Wishing your mother a speedy recovery...

Rabindra

U are ryte RABIN. I saw many cases from Appllo to CMC-Vellore Rehab.Krish i know one guy from u'r place who took treatment in CMC-Vellore with me few months back...if u want i can give his number[if he permits].Meet him and decide.

Doctor,

in case if you visit Chennai or CMC - VELLORE ...Please post here...

Yes Dr.Wise , this is indeed in India. But my family is in the Southern part of India ( city called Visakhapatnam), Delhi is up north. Currently she is at our home and a Physiotherapist is providing her some exercises at home. She is able to sit for interval of 1hr right now and taking small steps with the help of walker and support from 2 people. I was actually planning to take her to Apollo Hospital in Chennai this August where they are providing some Lokomat training.

May I ask you the best way to enhance her recovery. This is the part where I am so confused/lost and need your suggestion. On one hand I am feeling that we are losing valuable time waiting for her to pick up while on the other I feel we may be putting too much pressure too early. Do you advise he to be joined in an IN-PATIENT rehad center like the Indian Spinal Injuries Center or Apollo Delhi ?

Also , I stay is US ( Washington DC) and tried reaching your offices today to meet you in New Jersey. I have visited my mother on April 28th ( 3 days after her accident) and was there with her for 20 days. Now I am planning to go again in August to India. Currently my sister is assisting my mother. I fact that I am far away from her is also painful but unaviodable as well if I have to provide her with good medical aid/care. I am gathering as much information as possible from here by calling the hospitals. Please advise me on the best way forward.

Thanks as always !

Krish .
    ---------------
    Krish, I have been in Hong Kong and Taiwan for the past few days. That is why you cannot get a hold of me in New Jersey. The main advantage of going to a place such as Indian Spinal Injury Centre or the Apollo Hospital in Chennai is the discipline of a program.

On the other hand, it sounds as if your mother is making good progress in her recovery. I am sure that your mother is more happy at home surrounded by people that love her. In my opinion, she should be trying to stand at least an hour a day.

If you can get her to do stepping in Chennai, on a Lokomat, that may accelerate her locomotor recovery. Also, it will show where her weaknesses are.

Wise.

Thank you Dr.Wise. I shall keep you updated on my mothers recovery and shall try to meet you in one of the open houses in Rutgers or whenever you are there.

Hi Rabin/Karthik ,

Thank you for your posts and suggestions. I will contact CMC and keep you folks updated. Karthik , can you please obtain the permission of your friend from Vizag so that I can talk to him and share some of his ideas/training experiences.

Krish .
    ---------------