Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Ride Designs Custom cushion

  1. #1

    Ride Designs Custom cushion

    I have a seating evaluation scheduled in early July and am going to explore getting fitted for a Ride Designs Custom cushion.

    I'm aware that they are quite pricey and would like to know from anyone here who has, how much did you (or your insurance) pay for yours?

    My DME benefits are a mere $1500/year. I can't imagine that the cushion costs more than that, but the cushion is available only through DME dealers and they'll want their slice of the pie.

  2. #2
    Senior Member DaleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    5,408
    $1,500 will just cover it. The retail price on a standard width (12"-20") is now $1,470. DME's love retail, as you know!

    I was spec'd for one last summer, to go with my then new chair. My total price was quoted as ~$1,250 I ultimately declined to purchase because of how I cath. I need to scooch a bit toward the end of my seat when cath'ing and the Ride cushion does not accommodate any seating position other than the one it was molded for. I sit rather dynamically, moving around, crossing my legs, stretching out and laying back on the back rest, etc and I can't do anything like that (safely) with as hard as the "foam" is on the Ride cushion. (I use the term 'foam' loosely, since it doesn't compress at all when you sit on it, it's just hard. Supposedly great for sitting in the one position it's made for, though.)
    __________________

    He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

  3. #3
    Good info, Dale. Did you also demo the Ride Designs Forward cushion? I imagine that would be more forgiving for "dynamic" seating. My understanding, though, is that the Forward is pretty heavy, around 5 lbs., which is a drawback.


    Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    $1,500 will just cover it. The retail price on a standard width (12"-20") is now $1,470. DME's love retail, as you know!

    I was spec'd for one last summer, to go with my then new chair. My total price was quoted as ~$1,250 I ultimately declined to purchase because of how I cath. I need to scooch a bit toward the end of my seat when cath'ing and the Ride cushion does not accommodate any seating position other than the one it was molded for. I sit rather dynamically, moving around, crossing my legs, stretching out and laying back on the back rest, etc and I can't do anything like that (safely) with as hard as the "foam" is on the Ride cushion. (I use the term 'foam' loosely, since it doesn't compress at all when you sit on it, it's just hard. Supposedly great for sitting in the one position it's made for, though.)

  4. #4
    My ride custom was about $1400 also. I also like to scoot forward when I cath and that works fine on my custom. I love how light it is and if it ever gets wet it dries extremely quickly. They have great customer service also. I lost a little weight last year and the re-fit me with a brand new cushion for free!

  5. #5
    I use the Ride Design Custom and although they tell you not to I scooch forward regularly with no skin problems as a result. You could certainly cath on this cushion. I absolutely love the cushion. I had used ROHOs for years and developed sweating leading to constant, minor decubiti, I tried a Stimulite Classic - no improvement. I went to Isch Dish, some significant improvement. I was evaluated and provided a RD Custom - I have never sweated again, no red spots, increased sitting tolerance. I love the cushion, however, it feels so hard that it's initially scary to sit on.

    My wife is also a chair user and has the Ride Design Forward. This has worked very well for her, very comfortable, more sitting tolerance.

    Both cushions are high in front and can cause transfer issues. From our experience the change to these cushions was well worth it. If you are thinking about changing cushions like this get an eval from a PT with lots of experience in seating. No one cushion is right for everyone.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I use the Ride Design Custom and although they tell you not to I scooch forward regularly with no skin problems as a result. You could certainly cath on this cushion. I absolutely love the cushion. I had used ROHOs for years and developed sweating leading to constant, minor decubiti, I tried a Stimulite Classic - no improvement. I went to Isch Dish, some significant improvement. I was evaluated and provided a RD Custom - I have never sweated again, no red spots, increased sitting tolerance. I love the cushion, however, it feels so hard that it's initially scary to sit on.

    My wife is also a chair user and has the Ride Design Forward. This has worked very well for her, very comfortable, more sitting tolerance.

    Both cushions are high in front and can cause transfer issues. From our experience the change to these cushions was well worth it. If you are thinking about changing cushions like this get an eval from a PT with lots of experience in seating. No one cushion is right for everyone.
    AG,

    Why did your wife choose the Forward over the Custom? In your opinion, what are the pros/cons of each; what are the tradeoffs?

    I've done well with the Stimulite Classics I've been using for about the past 10 years, but I've just about healed a tailbone wound (the result of a tear, not pressure) and sitting on the Stimulite (or any cushion that doesn't suspend the coccyx) has greatly impeded healing. I recently took an old out-of-circulation Stimulite that, thankfully, I kept and cut out a chunk of material in the rear center of the cushion to create a tailbone pocket, a la the Isch-Dish. This helped a lot.

    But the Ride Designs Custom, I'm told, eliminates pressure not only on the tailbone but the ischiums as well. I'm thinking that this cushion may be an important ounce of prevention 'cause butt sores suck!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    AG,

    Why did your wife choose the Forward over the Custom? In your opinion, what are the pros/cons of each; what are the tradeoffs?

    I've done well with the Stimulite Classics I've been using for about the past 10 years, but I've just about healed a tailbone wound (the result of a tear, not pressure) and sitting on the Stimulite (or any cushion that doesn't suspend the coccyx) has greatly impeded healing. I recently took an old out-of-circulation Stimulite that, thankfully, I kept and cut out a chunk of material in the rear center of the cushion to create a tailbone pocket, a la the Isch-Dish. This helped a lot.

    But the Ride Designs Custom, I'm told, eliminates pressure not only on the tailbone but the ischiums as well. I'm thinking that this cushion may be an important ounce of prevention 'cause butt sores suck!
    My wife is post polio and has complete sensation. She didn't like the ultra firmness of the Custom. The Forward would be easier to scooch forward on but I would like the Custom for really suspending those vulnerable areas. We both consider these (Custom,Forward) to be the best cushions we have ever had. One nice thing also about the Custom is that you can adjust it slightly by using the straps on the side to make the suspending bowl bigger.

    Good luck, I hope you find the right cushion for your needs.

  8. #8
    Senior Member brucec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Posts
    5,658
    is this thread about a 1400 dollar seat cusion?
    seems like a lot of money, whats so special about it?
    thanks
    bruce
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    is this thread about a 1400 dollar seat cusion?
    seems like a lot of money, whats so special about it?
    thanks
    bruce
    Apparently, amazingly yes, they cost a fortune. The Ride Design Custom cushion is custom-molded to the contours of your butt in a fashion similar to custom shoe orthotics. The cushion removes all pressure from the sit-bones (i.e., the ischial tuberosities and coccyx) and distributes the load to the femural shafts and lower back in such a way that you're butt is completely suspended. The few people I know who've used them love them.

  10. #10
    Senior Member DaleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    5,408
    Well, hearing the first hand testimonials I might give them a second look. Thanks for the info.
    __________________

    He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Similar Threads

  1. Ride Designs Cushion & Back
    By Wheelie_girl_ in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 10:18 PM
  2. Ride Designs Forward cushion
    By JGNI in forum Equipment
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-01-2008, 07:54 AM
  3. Ride designs cushion
    By jbinny in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2007, 11:40 PM
  4. Jay 2 cushion and Medicare
    By bob clark in forum Equipment
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-22-2006, 05:13 PM
  5. Newbie question about butts.
    By Yaw in forum Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 06:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •