Thread: new to forum, basic computer voice recognition question

new to forum, basic computer voice recognition question

hello people, C4 new to this forum, wish I knew it existed years ago. This June will have been in the chair 20 years. Seems like a vast amount of information here, great source.

I use my computer with voice recognition (Dragon dictate version 3.0) I'm from Massachusetts where this program originated, I actually was one of the disabled people to prototype it back in the early '90s At Brigham & womens hospital. Just wondering if there is anything new and more accessible for voice recognition users. As far as I know dragon was sold to a company that doesn't provide much technical or user support.

Thank you
    shamrock88

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock88
    hello people, C4 new to this forum, wish I knew it existed years ago. This June will have been in the chair 20 years. Seems like a vast amount of information here, great source.

I use my computer with voice recognition (Dragon dictate version 3.0) I'm from Massachusetts where this program originated, I actually was one of the disabled people to prototype it back in the early '90s At Brigham & womens hospital. Just wondering if there is anything new and more accessible for voice recognition users. As far as I know dragon was sold to a company that doesn't provide much technical or user support.

Thank you
    shamrock88

Dragon is alive and well and still the leader in voice recognition. They're up to version 8.

Its quite a testamony to Dragon that you are still going strong after all these years.

Shamrock, welcome to CC!

I recall using Dragon in the early nineties and it may have been version 1.0 or version 2.0 because it came on floppy disks. It was painstakingly slow and not quite ready for prime time. Right now the only game in town is Nuance.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I tried a copy of "naturally speaking" several years ago, maybe Ver. 4, the word processing was fantastic, however I found my older version of plain dragon dictate to be better with Mouse commands, I believe this is when Dragon changed their target from the disabled to legal secretaries and the such. I'll have to give version 8 a look.
    Thanks

version 8 is pretty hot
    i started on version 5, left it for awhile
    tryed version 8 not long ago, very responsive.
    of course you only get out of software like this what your prepared to put in.
    at one stage i could completely control my puter via voice.
    a quality mic is a must
    survivor of beijing oeg transplant

thank you for the response! Phil, what microphone do you suggest?

Thank you

probly anything thats not too cheap.
    mines a labtec lva-8420,it come with dragon 5 package i bought originally.
    survivor of beijing oeg transplant

On my laptop I was using IBM Via Voice A computer I custom built ...The IBM Via Voice
    Drives me nuts lol it's odd but works and it's not my cup of tea Dear IBM I do not like Creepy ol Woodrow the talking pencil lmao rofl ....

Several Years back when I had my own computer shop's I tried a early version of Dragon Speaks and it was alot easier for me .
    I had old aged customers who needed help typing etc . thats how I ran across the Dragon Naturally Speaks stuff If I remember by Nuance
    Back then 10 yrs or more the version I used on my windows platform Was Not compatible with my current OS
    As the Yrs gone bye I learn and do most of my own programming etc... When I am up to it

Now I will be upgrading my versions of Dragon Naturally Speaking to a new ver 10

Sincerely
    Gypsylady

Just pecking away and living life to my fullest .

I upgraded to version 10 last week. Started using DragonDictate in the early 90s. It was very expensive back then.

Thank you

I just want to say this to Van quad
    Thank you
    sincerely ;
    Gypsylady