Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinned toe ... bandaid and?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Skinned toe ... bandaid and?

I'm kind of bad about wearing shoes (I know ... I know) and I somehow took all the skin off the top of my middle toe. Bathed it - looks pink just kind of oozy - put on bandaid and neosporin. Anything else to do or not?

when i saw the title of your thread, i thought " hmm, bandaid and neosporin!" but you have already done that, lol

hope you heal soon!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

i leave the bandaid off at night when sleeping, to let it air out
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I did that succesive times in a three month period! Took the hide right off. three times in three months. Just neosporin at first then let air dry, gawd what a spas, dragging toe syndrom? BE CAREFUL, don't do it again.

Blog Entries
    Do it all the time. I DON'T wear shoes, ever.
    I use a salve I have and cover with gauze/tape(I usually get 2 or 3 toes at a time. Change it when done bathing. Usually in a couple of days or so it is scabbed over and well on the way to healing.

After about a week, I quit covering it but continue to use the salve on it til healed, about two weeks.

mmmmm, I just did that. I dont use a chair, but foot drop and cement dont mix even for two steps to intercept escaped kitty. the neuro pain makes it feel like an amputation. im using a bandaid and neosporin. happy healing.

I am prone to infections and a slow healer (especially on my limbs with sensory damage), so I almost never leave any cut or scrape open to the air or allow a scab to form.

Leaving wounds uncovered exposes them to too much bacteria, and allowing a scab to form just locks any bacteria in by preventing the wound from freely draining (even if there's nothing more coming out than a small amount of that clear ooze).

Trial and error taught me that I need to use a bandaid or sterile gauze and tape with neosporin (which both kills germs and helps draw stuff out) until some new skin forms.

PS -- Add me to the barefoot brigade. Only reason I ever put on my sandals is to transfer in and out of the car. (I do a standing pivot transfer and have some sensation in the bottoms of my feet, and the pavement is too rough and usually too hot/cold for my tender little tootsies to handle.)
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Glad I'm not the only one - I don't feel so stupid now Thanks everybody!

Wanna hear stupid? I went out to give my sister a lift home and since I have to take off my legrests to fit in the elevator I decided to leave them off for the short drive. Discovered my skinned toe a few hours later when I went to bed

except for neuropathic pain I have drop foot and no feeling in my r foot and often my left so am never barefoot, sliced it open too many times. when skinned the seems everyone knows the magic of neosporin and a bandaid.

I think this is just one of the unmentioned pleasures of SCI !

bill