Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: terrible uti

terrible uti

hey,
    i have a uti ,,,, and its been like 2 1/2 ,months..... at first they gave me the one they always use... micobid or something? ut didnt wprk... then it was nitro something.../ didnt work..... now its levaquin . iv been using it as precribed
    but i still get realy swrsty at night,,, urge to pee..... im on 3 more days.. then its back to the doc..... anything i should tell/ask him,,,, he has no experiance with sci...
    also , should i wait to use cteam pf tataer,1tsp morning/vit 1000 night
    anything else
    "With my lightnin' bolts a glowin'
    I can see where I am goin' to be
    when the reaper he reaches and touches my hand."

Woody, did the doctor run a culture and sensitivity test on your urine?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

o yea.... e coli.. that all i no

anything other than meds that`ll kill it

Talking re: nasty utis

hey there-
    i've basically had a UTI since my SCI on 3/4/04.
    I always have e coli and am on macrobid (nitrofurantin) 100mg twice a day forever...i've also had enterococcus and psuedomonas which required IV antibiotics. e coli is normal in sci folks so i've been told.
    now i'm getting antibiotic resistant to many drugs but oh well guess that happens when you are always on them!
    kel

did your doctor try cipro? if he/she does a culture on the sample, he can find out what medicine will work best as well as what works for you. personally, my doctor will only give me levaquin if the cipro or macrobid doesn't work, and so far those two meds work for me. good luck on your uti and i hope you feel better fast, i know it sucks big time.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

If the doc did the C&S and is treating you with meds to which the e coli is sensitive but you're not getting cleared up, it may be that you're not being prescribed the antibiotics for long enough. Full blown UTIs in people with SCI need to be treated for at least 10-14 days, not the 5-7 days typical for ABs. Making sure your doc is leaving you on the meds indicated by the C&S for at least two weeks. (I always get a copy of my C&S results from the lab to make sure the docs are prescribing a drug that's both effective and has the least side effects for me.)

A far as other forms of treatment, I have had excellent results with managing e coli using large doses of D-Mannose. It works best as a preventive, but it can be used as treatment, too -- just be warned, to clear up e coli infections, I need to take between 8-12 doses of 1500 mgs/day for two or three days in a row.

As a preventive for e coli infections, I take 1500 mgs (three 500 mg capsules) four times a day.

+---------------+

Welcome, kel13! Taking antibiotics to prevent UTIs, especially macrodantin, isn't a good idea. There's no scientific rationale for using prophylactic antibiotics in people with paralysis and neurogenic bladders, and the long-term use of daily macrodantin can cause aplastic anemia and lung disease. It also contributes to the development of superbugs like MRSA. This thread provides a more detailed discussion about the problems with taking macrodantin to prevent UTIs.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

try the creme of tarter remedy. anyone have recomended dose? I used 1/4 tsp in a glass of water twice a day. it got rid of this uti ive had for months. well my caths were changed to hydrophilic (sp?) and I am using steril glove kits too, but no antibiotics.

re: macrobid long term

just so u know i've been to 3 different urologists and my PMR spinal cord doctor and ALL of them agree that for me macrobid 200mg a day is FINE.
    so I do not know what medical school u went too....but I disagree...
    also I bounced in and out of the ER 15 times this past semester with UTIs...and always they threw levaquin, cipro, etc at me then called me 3 days later and said take macrobid once the culture came back. so you are wrong in this case! by the way I've already had MRSA and a blood clot so what in the world do u know anyway???????

well someone's a bit hostile...
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com