Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7, It's Official

Windows 7, It's Official

It's official: Microsoft will finish Windows 7 in late July and it will be released to the public on October 22, 2009. If you read the engadget article you will find that there are six different versions of Windows 7. I think the default version will be Windows 7 Home Premium. I am personally interested in Windows 7 XP Mode because it will allow you to run Windows XP inside a virtual machine within Windows. However, it is my understanding at the chip level that the computer will have to have Hardware Virtualization built-in. One way to find out if your computer has Hardware Virtualization built-in is to go over to Steve Gibson's website GRC and run a small program called SecurAble. User Account Control in Windows 7 will work differently than in Windows Vista. With Windows 7 there is a four-level slider. Level four is essentially the same as Vista. Level three gives you a notification but you're not forced to respond. Level two is less visually disturbing, and level one does nothing at all.

There is an article on PC World where Microsoft will be selling Windows 7 Upgrades for $50. This offer will not last long, as I understand it.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Microsoft will be releasing a free (beta) anti-Malware program next Tuesday for a Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Microsoft Security Essentials will come with a basic antivirus and anti-spyware program. This free security suite from Microsoft cannot be good news for Symantec or McAfee.

The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    It's official: Microsoft will finish Windows 7 in late July and it will be released to the public on October 22, 2009. If you read the engadget article you will find that there are six different versions of Windows 7. I think the default version will be Windows 7 Home Premium. I am personally interested in Windows 7 XP Mode because it will allow you to run Windows XP inside a virtual machine within Windows. However, it is my understanding at the chip level that the computer will have to have Hardware Virtualization built-in. One way to find out if your computer has Hardware Virtualization built-in is to go over to Steve Gibson's website GRC and run a small program called SecurAble. User Account Control in Windows 7 will work differently than in Windows Vista. With Windows 7 there is a four-level slider. Level four is essentially the same as Vista. Level three gives you a notification but you're not forced to respond. Level two is less visually disturbing, and level one does nothing at all.

There is an article on PC World where Microsoft will be selling Windows 7 Upgrades for $50. This offer will not last long, as I understand it.

problem is, it will be patch 3 or so before it's useable.
    learned that all the way back to microsoft's os2
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER
    I just hope I curse less than I do with VISTA.

Windows 7 is really a fine tuning of Windows Vista. Microsoft has gone into every single nook and cranny of this OS, internally and externally, improving everything large and small. Windows 7 is lightweight and can run on a Net Book which its predecessor (Vista) could not do. I look forward to seeing how Windows 7 matches up against Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I've never had problems running Vista. I didn't get what all the fuss was about.

I don't have any problems with this to either. The one thing that annoys me with this do though is no matter what I go to run on it, it asks me if I want to allow that program to run, even if it's a Microsoft program that gets used all the time. Actually, that's really annoying
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I don't have any problems with this to either. The one thing that annoys me with this do though is no matter what I go to run on it, it asks me if I want to allow that program to run, even if it's a Microsoft program that gets used all the time. Actually, that's really annoying
    That feature can be turned off and also, Windows 7 will improve upon that feature by giving you more options using it. The reason for that feature is to prevent changes to your PC while surfing the Internet. It protects you, but does it overtly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    I've never had problems running Vista. I didn't get what all the fuss was about.
    me too, never had a problem with vista.

Pre-order Windows 7 between June 26, 2009 and July 11, 2009 for a 50% savings. Windows 7 Home Premium will cost $49 for the upgrade, and Windows 7 Professional will sell for $99. I find it a little confusing when they state that this is "for a limited time while supplies last." A company the size of Microsoft should be able to handle the customer demand for Windows 7.

--General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com