Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing stored in spinal cord

Standing stored in spinal cord

I've heard the theory that the ability to walk is stored in the spinal cord and the brain sends a signal down to the spinal cord to waqlk. Recently after weening off both antidepressants for nuero pain and baclofen I've started standing without the need to block my knees or hips!!

First I was thinking that it was spastic muscle keeping my knees from buckling and hips in line, but now I'm not so sure. The feeling is very different from spasms. It's as if my body is on auto-pilot to hold joints in place to stand. This is the first time in over 6 years that I have stood up without any frames or braces and I can balance with one hand!

I'm really encouraged as I have been standing for many minutes at a time several times a day and also am feeling new sore muscles as a result. These are core muscles that haven't been worked in years even though I do extensive workouts on stationary bikes, elliptical trainers, handbikes and (of course) FreeWheeling!

So, I'm thinking about this theory that the complex action of standing is stored somewhere Below my injury (C6/7). And the take away is to try and stand with out relying on braces or frames to see if your body responds. Food for thought.

Pat

www.gofreewheel.com

Now, that is a good theory. The picture of you standing, looks very much like I did at first. Than I had this baked out hippy theory, [think back to the late 60's early 70's] "Let it go, relax, let it all go" being from that weird era, and as time went by, it really did, ummmm,,,,,,, flow....

Now I deal with the Atlantic ocean, and it doesn't always cooperate, and as we all know has a mind of it's own. No balance apperatus in the world can compare. That, along with the automatic things that should be happening make it a real challange. In general it has helped, there is something lurking in other areas, not really gone, but dormant, and without regular feeling that once triggered them. Kind of like an employee that did too much too soon, of somehting, and is forever just short of a lost cause. Maybe one day he, she, will get it togther again.

I have my goood days, and I have days where, I've slipped my disco. Followed by a day where everthing is good again. I can't explain it, it's weird, but I'm working with it, rather than against it. Makes life interesting for sure.

You are right about the meds, the less I take, the better it gets.Too musch one day and everything is in a downward spiral, and it never gets better. I lay off them put up with what ever is bothering me and I;m back on track.

Looks great, Pat!

Keep up the hard work!

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by patd View Post
    I've heard the theory that the ability to walk is stored in the spinal cord and the brain sends a signal down to the spinal cord to waqlk. Recently after weening off both antidepressants for nuero pain and baclofen I've started standing without the need to block my knees or hips!!

First I was thinking that it was spastic muscle keeping my knees from buckling and hips in line, but now I'm not so sure. The feeling is very different from spasms. It's as if my body is on auto-pilot to hold joints in place to stand. This is the first time in over 6 years that I have stood up without any frames or braces and I can balance with one hand!

I'm really encouraged as I have been standing for many minutes at a time several times a day and also am feeling new sore muscles as a result. These are core muscles that haven't been worked in years even though I do extensive workouts on stationary bikes, elliptical trainers, handbikes and (of course) FreeWheeling!

So, I'm thinking about this theory that the complex action of standing is stored somewhere Below my injury (C6/7). And the take away is to try and stand with out relying on braces or frames to see if your body responds. Food for thought.

Pat

www.gofreewheel.com
    This is awesome.

AWESOME JOB.I think you're right about the meds.I hate taking them.Keep going bro.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

That's great Pat. I hope you can continue to improve. Good stuff.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

look good ! keep it up, brother...

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Yeah!
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Really impressive Pat. Do you just stand up from your chair and can you walk/take steps too.

Thanks evertyone, like I said, I'm encouraged!

WTF, yeah I can use either the counters or a walker to grab with my hands and lift up, like a doing a dip. Make sure your brakes are on! I concentrate on straightening my hips while I push up and due to lack of feeling it's so strange to be "lifted" by muscles I can't feel (yet), but who am I to complain!!

Just this morning, I am overwhelmed with sore muscles in areas I haven't felt for 6 years. It's uncomfortable as I believe this soreness ellicits new spasticity, but I know that is just something to work through. Turns out I am tall and there is a lot of dust on the top of my refridgerator!

Pat

www.gofreewheel.com