Thread: C5-6 Complete injury

Unhappy C5-6 Complete injury

Hey, my name is Candy and my brother just had a car accident yesterday and has a complete fracture of C5 and C6. He is in surgery right now to try and repair anything they can. We are being told he has a 98% chance of never walking again. We are also being told, after surgery, he may not be able to move his arms anymore. Before they took him back he was able to move his arms a little, but not really his fingers. I know you know the same feelings i am going through right now. SO thankful he is alive, but still praying he will be able to be independent someday.

I was starting my research on his condition and what to expect and your post on this website was the 1st on my list. I believe it is a sign. Your son is doing better now and learning to do things on his own.

Please keep me posted on his process, as this will teach me something to expect along the way.

I dont know your stand point on stem cell research, but they are making new advances everyday and it is something to look into.

Thanks and have a Wonderful Day. I hope to hear from you soon.

Welcome Candy...I am so sorry to hear about your brother...introduce yourself over in the new sci forum so everyone can offer their support! You have found a great site to gather information...I too am wondering about cj's mom...

CNSO601,
    My son had a C5 fracture a year and a half ago and is doing great. We had a fabulous doctor. He gave no percentages...just said "I don't know how Brian will heal." That was great news. We took that and ran with it. Seven weeks after injury we had him at Project Walk in Carlsbad, CA. He started wtih very little and now has feeling down into his butt. So much has recovered and now he is starting to be able to control some leg movement. It is a long road but a hopeful one. The doctors are usually negative. Don't despair...there is hope. I have seen it with my own eyes. Check out their site at projectwalk.org. Remember, everyone heals differently and comes along at different rates. The medical profession is great at quoting stats and figures but I used to tell my son that they don't know you and those statistics have nothing to do with you. Good luck to your family. Be an advocate for your brother...he'll need one.
    Luke 5:24

Candy, welcome to CareCure. I have moved your post and responses to it so it won't be buried in the older post where you had it.

Where is he now? Is he in a specialty SCI Center? Is he getting ready to go to a specialty SCI rehab center? It is critical that he get the best care now to prevent breathing problems as well as pressure ulcers. Both will hold him back in his rehab.

It is way too early to tell if his injury will continue to appear complete, since he is undoubtably still in spinal shock. Don't give up, but also make plans so that he can move back into living in the world in spite of this injury.

Find out what his actual ASIA level of injury and type are. If the physician's don't know, insist that they find someone who knows how to properly do this exam.

Read some of the articles by Dr. Young (likes from the CareCure home page). These can be very helpful to you, as can the "sticky" topics on this forum (at the top of the list of threads).

Please come back, ask questions, and keep us informed on his progress.

(KLD)