Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: CCC site slow

Thank you, Wise. As always......

Yea! Cause I move faster than CC is today.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Super Moderator

slow access

I recently got an announcement from the IT group at Rutgers that they've been having net access trouble over the past few days. Hopefully this is the source of the slowness problem, since nothing seems wrong on our end. It's always nice when the problem is Rutgers-wide since it gets the highest priority for repair.

The old Mac server is limping along surprisingly well while Steven sets up the new servers. I'm sure you'll see huge improvements when we switch over. Steven had a copy of CC working on the new site today for the first time, so I know it'll be soon. CC will be hosted on two fairly powerful Linux computers with sufficient power backup to last over a day on a combination of UPS and a huge diesel generator. The network is also on the same power system.

We back up the entire server every night, just in case. Do you backup? It's not too hard to store several copies these days with hard disks so cheap. Our new server will be automatically backed up to tapes with archives kept off-site. Just like a corporate IT group!

Finally, the Rutgers IT group provides no special support or hindrance to CC. Unless we start sending spam (it's happened) or trip some alarm (that, too), they leave us alone. Gotta admit, though, they give us lots of free bandwidth with few problems.

Have a little more patience and you'll see a big improvement.

Ron

If you are looking for a good hosting company, you can't go wrong with Host Gator. All my sites are hosted with them. I just waited for about three minutes for the message to be posted, if that happens everytime, I won't be using this for much. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by OFL View Post
    If you are looking for a good hosting company, you can't go wrong with Host Gator. All my sites are hosted with them. I just waited for about three minutes for the message to be posted, if that happens everytime, I won't be using this for much. :-)
    Hopefully, it won't last for long. At the present, we are running the website on an old Mac server and going through an indirect link to the internet portal of Rutgers University. We are moving to new servers and also a direct link to the internet portal. Both of these should improve the speed. The network is having intermittent problems right now and these are being fixed as well. It may take us another week or two to test the new servers and switch over.

Wise.

Network slowdowns continue at Rutgers

The Rutgers network has been suffering internet outages almost daily since July 20, 2009. What began with intermittent outages between 14:30-15:00 every day has been spreading to other parts of the day, to as early as 12:05 pm to 5 pm. The internet is affected for 30 minutes or variable periods starting at 2:30 and 5:30 pm. During this time, web pages from internet servers may not load or only after long delays.

We apologize for this. Rutgers has been investigating this for the past week and have not been able to find the underlying cause of this outage. Hopefully, they will resolve it soon.

Wise.

Wasted another hour of my life writing a PM here just to have it disappear into the cyber-ether. What joy.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark View Post
    Wasted another hour of my life writing a PM here just to have it disappear into the cyber-ether. What joy.

Bob.
    Sorry Bob. We'll be deciding Monday on which day to switch to the new servers, as everything's tested and working on them, so that shouldn't happen again.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Can't wait for the new servers, thanks.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    Sorry Bob. We'll be deciding Monday on which day to switch to the new servers, as everything's tested and working on them, so that shouldn't happen again.
    Thank you Steven. There's something about losing a fairly long and somewhat thought out PM or post that just drives me nuts!

I'll re-write it tonight and as I usually do, but regrettably didn't last night, periodically copy and paste it to a trusty "general" notepad document that I keep handy on my desktop for such purposes.

I'm anxious to see how the new servers will perform. Thanks for all your hard work.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria