Thread: Have you tried to stretch out your back by hanging?

Have you tried to stretch out your back by hanging?

I know the title sounds a little creepy. I was watching an infomercial and it was for this apparatus which lay on and your feet get fastened to the bed and then you hang upside down. This, I imagine, would be bad for me since it would stretch out my ligaments but what if I could hang the other way? Like say from under your shoulders. Has anyone tried that before? What results did you get?
    Never Give Up!

Does holding a chin up count? I did that at some Marine booth at an air show. After I convinced them I wouldn't hurt myself they put me up there. I smoked the women's time of the day. Got a free tshirt. Anyway enough bragging. When I got down my legs spasmed forever maybe from the strain of trying to hold myself up there. It didn't help me any other way. I can't imagine dangling from your shoulders would be comfortable or safe but it may be a good pressure relief.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

its called an inversion table.....

I would not recommend hanging from your shoulders. A good way to cause a subluxation (dislocation) if your shoulders are weak, or to damage your rotator cuff. Pressure on your armpits can also damage your brachial plexus. There are other ways to do back stretches if you need them...check with a good PT.

(KLD)

The problem I'm having is I used to be able to lay out on a massage-style table to my back would crack but since a Lumbar CT I'm having trouble. Its like the my lower back has gotten stiffer since the test. Could it be related?
    Never Give Up!

Quote Originally Posted by roc21 View Post
    its called an inversion table.....
    Yup - I have one at home and is my favorite way to end the night. Sitting in a chair all day compresses the spine. Even 20 degrees of inversion is enough to let your back muscles stretch and discs decompress, taking pressure off nerve roots.

Teeter or someone makes a chair accessible model now, of course consult the good ol' doctor and common sense if you have blood pressure issues and whatnot.

That was my thought too. Wouldn't you know that my OT has been pushing me to find a way to put up a bar to hang from. Sigh....

I like the idea of an inversion table. Might try to figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I would not recommend hanging from your shoulders. A good way to cause a subluxation (dislocation) if your shoulders are weak, or to damage your rotator cuff. Pressure on your armpits can also damage your brachial plexus. There are other ways to do back stretches if you need them...check with a good PT.

(KLD)
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Be careful......it didn't work out too good for David Carradine!

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Be careful......it didn't work out too good for David Carradine!
    but he had it wrapped around two things
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

i was thinking of an inversion table too, i sleep in a zero gravity chair since last november, my pain at night has been less, it certainly is more comfortable for me.
    cauda equina