Thread: Are wheelchairs allowed on a golf course

Are wheelchairs allowed on a golf course

I had a arguement with my husband (who loves golf) as he thinks a person in a wheelchair would not be allowed on the course because the wheels would wreck the greens. People in wheelchairs travel the world, scuba dive but they can't play golf!!!

Well if my 7 year old wants to play golf, I don't agree he shouldn't be allowed.

people are more important than grass
    Last edited by soimumireland; 06-09-2009 at 11:46 AM.

We actually have an adaptive golf program here and people in chairs golf (my fiance being one of them). They have a specially designed cart where the seat swivels in and out and the golfer can sit in that seat and swing away. There is nothing stoping my fiance from golfing.

I think you win the bet.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Hi Soimumireland,

Check out Rick Brauer's website HERE.

Golf

I don't imagine that all golf courses allow adaptive golf carts and disabled golfers to play but it's becoming more acceptable as time goes by. Some golf courses (or their owners and greenskeepers) need to be educated about the use of adaptive golf carts on and around tee boxes and greens and even in sand bunkers. From what I've read there is less weight per square inch on an adaptive golf cart wheel than there is on the sole of a golf shoe so in theory less damage.

Some golf courses have one or more adaptive golf carts in their golf cart fleet though I imagine having one customized for the individual is the better way to go. Nowadays they aren't very expensive... maybe $5K? This way the golfer can practice and play whenever he or she wants to and as all golfers know, practice... and lots of it is the key to playing well and having a good time.

Adaptive golf carts for sale. You may be able to find a used one for sale too.

If a golf course still won't allow the use of adaptive golf carts there's always the courts. Maybe a lawyer who is versed in the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) would be able to help.

Fore!!

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark View Post
    If a golf course still won't allow the use of adaptive golf carts there's always the courts. Maybe a lawyer who is versed in the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) would be able to help.
    Or the Irish Disability Act, since the OP isn't in the US.

More information on Accessibility Law and Public Policy in Ireland: http://www.cfit.ie/accessibility/acc...aw_policy.html

I've been on golf courses in my chair. *shrug*