Thread: Advice on old T12 injury (6 years ago)

Advice on old T12 injury (6 years ago)

I broke my back in June 2003, burst fracture of T12. I had surgery and have 4 pins and 2 rods. They also used part of his hip bone to seize the vertebrae together. It has now been 6 years to the month since my accident and I am walking fine, won't be running any marathons not that I want to anyway.

I recently noticed some movement in my back, when I bend I can feel what I think is my pins grinding, if I put my hands on my back over where my pins are and bend forward slightly I can feel vibrations in my back. I mentioned to friend who is a paramedic and he said that isn't normal, he said not to worry but to get it checked out. My doctor has referred me to the orthopedic consultant at my local hospital but that may take a few weeks so was wondering if anyone else has noticed anything like this?

I'm really worried that I may have to have them removed which I'm told is more traumtic that having them put in.

Any advice / experience with this would be really helpful.

Sorry have submitted this thread in 3 different places now as I'm new and not sure where it would go.

I will remove any duplicate threads. This is the right forum, and welcome to CareCure!

Movement in a previously fused area of the spine is a reason for concern. It can be caused by bone infection or by something like a spinal Charcot joint. Either may require surgery. The thing to do now is to see that orthopedic spine surgeon and have Xrays and if indicated MRI and/or CT to determine what is going on.

(KLD)

Thank you for the quick reply, that is a real worry thought I would be ok after 6 years but guess you are never completely right after an injury like this.

Hopefully I will get an appointment to see the Consultant fairly quickly.

Thanks again SCI Nurse.