Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nannycam legal or not

nannycam legal or not

i am a life partner of a incomplete spinal cord injury after almost 11 yrs injury he has short term memory loss and gets confused . i need to know what goes on when im not home i live in pennsylvania and i had tried to do research on this but i cant find the right info i would like to install a video recorder but i need to know whats legal has any body else dealt with this issue thank you

call your local ADA or police dept.
    I think you can video as long as there is no sound...but that just maybe something I heard.

from the net..

"Legally, it is perfectly OK to install a hidden camera device on your private property, and all 50 states have laws enacted that say so. However, there are many states where it is illegal to monitor or record someone’s speech without their consent. These states are California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oregon, Pennsylvania and Washington."

http://www.life123.com/parenting/tod...anny-cam.shtml
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

nannycam

Im sry if i offended anyone by calling it a nanny cam thats what i call it i realize he is an adult no insults intended

That's what they're called.
    We've had a # of videos shown on the TV news showing adults w/ home health aides getting the crap beaten outta of them.

They're called "nanny cams" as they are primarily used by parents unsure of the care givers they hired for their kids.

IMHO ,if you even are thinking you need one to monitor the care your family member ,whether he/she is 5 months or 99 years old, via video monitoring something in your gut is telling you something is amiss.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    call your local ADA or police dept.
    There is no such agency of office as the ADA. The ADA is a federal law related to civil rights and disability, and enforcement is divided up between a varity of federal agencies, but does not have anything to do with privacy laws.

I would suggest calling your local "Area Agency on Aging" or Adult Protective Services office and ask them this question. They should be able to guide you. If you suspect that a caregiver is either neglecting or abusing your partner, this is where you would report them as well.

(KLD)

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER
    exhale45-

I am not a lawyer. What experience I have had from legal issues that any american ia allowed to protect life, liberty and property with in their own home.

To place a camera in the confines of your own home to record the activities of a care provider, should not violate any law.

If there is a local law then just have any care provider sign a consent form that informs them that at any time they could be video taped with in the confines of your home, exterior to any bathroom.

you can put cameras anywhere except the bathroom without notice. completely legal.
    C'mon buh bub!

just wanted to add we caught a guy stealing my pain meds with nannycam.
    C'mon buh bub!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There is no such agency of office as the ADA. The ADA is a federal law related to civil rights and disability, and enforcement is divided up between a varity of federal agencies, but does not have anything to do with privacy laws.

I would suggest calling your local "Area Agency on Aging" or Adult Protective Services office and ask them this question. They should be able to guide you. If you suspect that a caregiver is either neglecting or abusing your partner, this is where you would report them as well.

(KLD)
    In this case I was referring to the Assisant District Attorney's office.(ADA)

I wonder if informing aids ahead of time that their actions are being monitored, even if they're not, will prevent theft and abuse. Supervised workers exercise more self discipline.