Thread: Congress & ASIA meeting

Congress & ASIA meeting

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Yes, You Can!, A Guide to Self-care for Persons with Spinal Cord Injury, Paralyzed Veterans most popular publication, is now available in an expanded and updated fourth edition!

Yes, You Can! is written for the newly injured and serves as a LIFETIME REFERENCE for people with disabilities, helping them gain knowledge, confidence and power to address all the important issues related to living with spinal cord injury (SCI).

The fourth edition is organized into four main topic areas: How SCI Affects Your Body; Maximizing Your Function; Coping and Living with SCI; Staying Healthy after SCI, and features 32 sub-sections.

Purchase your copy today by clicking here.

You can also view it on-line for no charge (same URL as above).

(KLD)
    Dear Nurse, would this be worth attending?

The 2009 Congress on Spinal Cord Medicine and Rehabilitation

September 23-26, 2009
    Sheraton Dallas Hotel

The Congress on Spinal Medicine and Rehabilitation, the nation’s premiere conference for spinal cord injury professionals, is coming to Dallas, Texas, in 2009. And this year’s Congress promises to be a truly unique, must-attend meeting of minds.
    Register Now!
    Copresented for the first time by the American Association of Spinal Cord Injury Nurses (AASCIN), the American Association of Spinal Cord Injury Psychologists and Social Workers (AASCIPSW), the American Paraplegia Society (APS), the Therapy Leadership Council in Spinal Cord Injury (TLCSCI), and the American Spinal Injury Association (ASIA)–and supported by Paralyzed Veterans of America-the Congress is expected to bring together more than 800 leaders, the “best and the brightest,” in spinal cord injury/dysfunction (SCI/D) healthcare and research.
    This year’s Congress topics include: Pain Management, Secondary Complications Associated with Aging and Evidence-Based Practice.
    AASCIN, AASCIPSW, APS, TLCSCI and ASIA have long track records respectively of providing excellent annual scientific meetings. By combining their resources, this year’s not to be missed Congress will be a world-class venue for SCI/D professionals to network, share ideas, and to integrate the disciplines of medicine, nursing, psychology, social work, behavioral health and rehabilitation therapy-leading to better treatments, therapies and cures for people who live with SCI/D.
    Register now for “early bird” savings!

This meeting combines the annual meetings for all these organization:
    -American Association of Spinal Cord Injury Nurses (AASCIN)
    -American Association of Spinal Cord Injury Psychologists and Social Workers (AASCIPSW)
    -American Paraplegia Society (APS)
    -Therapy Leadership Council in Spinal Cord Injury (TLCSCI)
    -American Spinal Injury Association (ASIA)

The first four organizations are merging in October 2009 to form the new Congress of Spinal Cord Medicine and Rehabilitation (funded partially now by the PVA, and formerly by the United Spinal Association).

While I have seen non-professionals attend some of these meetings in the past, you would have to pay full non-member registration ($500-$550), and understand that the presentations are designed for professionals, not consumers. Over the last 5 years the AASCIN/AASCIPSW/APS/TLCSCI meetings have also sponsored a consumer product fair as a pre-conference, but that is not being done this year. There will be a small vendor fair at this too, but again, geared toward professionals rather than consumers.

I am attending as an ASIA member and plan to attend mostly ASIA sessions.

(KLD)

I hear you. Please post after you attend this Seminar. So many of the topics seem pertinent here. Again Thank you. I read your credentials and they are impressive. Anyone slamming your empathy here should read these too. No one putting so much devotion into the cause does this without personal sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    This meeting combines the annual meetings for all these organization:
    -American Association of Spinal Cord Injury Nurses (AASCIN)
    -American Association of Spinal Cord Injury Psychologists and Social Workers (AASCIPSW)
    -American Paraplegia Society (APS)
    -Therapy Leadership Council in Spinal Cord Injury (TLCSCI)
    -American Spinal Injury Association (ASIA)

The first four organizations are merging in October 2009 to form the new Congress of Spinal Cord Medicine and Rehabilitation (funded partially now by the PVA, and formerly by the United Spinal Association).

While I have seen non-professionals attend some of these meetings in the past, you would have to pay full non-member registration ($500-$550), and understand that the presentations are designed for professionals, not consumers. Over the last 5 years the AASCIN/AASCIPSW/APS/TLCSCI meetings have also sponsored a consumer product fair as a pre-conference, but that is not being done this year. There will be a small vendor fair at this too, but again, geared toward professionals rather than consumers.

I am attending as an ASIA member and plan to attend mostly ASIA sessions.

(KLD)

Let me summarize some the meetings that are coming out this fall that are relevant to spinal cord injury. These are the meetings on my schedule between now and December.

• July 8-11. International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR) Meeting in Barcelona, Spain. This has become the premier international stem cell research meeting. All the best and brightest of stem cell research go to this meeting. This meeting is usually held in the United States but this time will be in Barcelona.
    • July 23. Keck Center Summer Open House. This is a our big summer Open House for people and families with brain and spinal cord injury. I understand that Richard Gaskin will be performing. We usually have a special guest to talk about specific topics. For example, last year, we have John Gearhart talk about stem cells. I will present the latest information about US clinical trials at this Open House.
    • August 7-9. Indian Neurotrauma Society meeting. Jaipur, India. The Indian Neurotrauma Society is active and attended by mostly neurosurgeons who are the doctors taking care of people with spinal cord injury in India.
    • August 27-29. Work2Walk. Chicago. This has become the premier spinal cord advocacy meeting. This use to be held yearly at Washington DC.
    • Sept. 6-11. National Neurotrauma Society/International Neurotrauma Soc. meeting in Santa Barbara. This is a combination of the the U.S. and the international neurotrauma symposium. All the top traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury scientists attend this meeting.
    • Sept 21-23. GPI Stem Cell Summit, Baltimore, MD. This is the premier stem cell advocacy meeting. GPI is the Genetic Policy Institute.
    • Sept 23-26. Spinal Cord Congress. The American Spinal Injury Association Meeting in Dallas, TX. This is of course the top U.S. spinal cord injury clinical association, attended by most rehabilitation doctors and spine surgeons. AASCIN/AASCIPSW/APS/TLCSCI
    • Sept 24. New Jersey Stem Cell Symposium, Bridgewater Marriot, NJ http://scrc.rutgers.edu/ This is the annual New Jersey stem cell symposium where all the NJ stem cell groups meet to share their results.
    • October 5-7. Spinal Cord Injury Workshop, Rutgers University, Keck Center, Piscataway, NJ. This is one of the four workshops that I hold every year for spinal cord injury investigators interested learning the impactor model.
    • October 21-24. ISCOS (International Spinal Cord Society) Meeting in Florence, Italy. This is the premier international spinal cord injury association (similar to the ASIA). This meeting is being held this year in Florence and there will be a special session for people with spinal cord injury.
    • October 24-30. World Congress of Neurology in Bangkok, Thailand. http://www.confabb.com/conferences/8...s-of-neurology. This is the world's largest scientific conference.
    • October 30. Central Jersey Spinal Cord Association (Fundraiser).
    • November 12-14. Academy of Multidisciplinary Neurotraumatology. This is a meeting that will be held in Hong Kong and will be attended by members of ChinaSCINet and international speakers, to present the latest in cell transplant and other therapies of brain and spinal cord injury.

There are more. These are only the ones on my schedule and I may not be able to make all of them.

Wise.

There are more. These are only the ones on my schedule and I may not be able to make all of them......Wise.

And why not?

Wise, The July 23rd Open House? When you say 'clinical trials' we're talking human as in the status of the SMA1's, ALS and the NASCInet? Any idea of company reps being there? especially discussing trials to go with the above of N=1s? Sue