Thread: quad driving? c5c6

Cool quad driving? c5c6

im a younin,18, lookin to start driving in southern florida..... where do i start... is it easy,what devices should i use,,,,
    any comment is perfect....
    thanks,
    woody.....

Welcome to Care Cure & Please Fill Out Your Profile

Woody,
    Welcome to Care Cure ! Sorry that you had to find us but glad that you did. You've come to the right place. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here. Any time you have a question please come here & post & some one on this great site will answer you.

Also Woody please fill out your profile so that when others look it up they know who they will be talking to when they answer you.

If you plan on seeking employment & are or want to go to school have you made an appointment to request a meeting with a State of Florida Vocational Rehabilitation counsler to see if you qualify for services thru Voc Rehab? If you havn't I strongly urge you to do so as soon as you can.

Best of luck to you in your endeavour to drive in Florida.
    Last edited by RAFS; 06-08-2009 at 01:18 AM. Reason: changed a word

My son is a C5 and a year and a half post. He is 19 and started driving on Thanksgiving. We're in California so since he already had his license, he did not need any special training. It took him about five minutes in a parking lot to learn his hand controls. He drives an extended cab Chevy Silverado. It is lowered and we had an airbag system installed that lowers it almost to the ground so he can transfer in and out and then he pushes a button and it pumps back up. It is really cool and he says he feels "normal again when he is driving." He really didn't want a van with a ramp. His hands are far from perfect so he drives with a tripod on the steering wheel. He is now working on getting his wheels off his chair. Currently, we or a friend help him put his chair in the bed of the truck. Not yet 100% independent but working on it. I think the lowered trucks for the young guys are the way to go.
    Luke 5:24

Welcome to CareCure! Where did you do your rehab? Did they refer you to a driver's rehab program? If not, contact your local large SCI center and ask them if they have such a program, or contract with one in the community they can refer you to. These programs will do an evaluation of your needs and made recommendations about equipment and vehicle adaptations. Once you get your modifications completed, they will also train you in proper use.

In some states, you have to do the training first before you can buy the equipment, which makes things a little more complex. I am not sure if Florida is that way or not.

If you need to drive to work or go to school, the Dept. of Vocational Rehabilitation may help pay for some or all of the training and/or vehicle modifications/equipment.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post
    My son is a C5 and a year and a half post. He is 19 and started driving on Thanksgiving. We're in California so since he already had his license, he did not need any special training. It took him about five minutes in a parking lot to learn his hand controls. He drives an extended cab Chevy Silverado. It is lowered and we had an airbag system installed that lowers it almost to the ground so he can transfer in and out and then he pushes a button and it pumps back up. It is really cool and he says he feels "normal again when he is driving." He really didn't want a van with a ramp. His hands are far from perfect so he drives with a tripod on the steering wheel. He is now working on getting his wheels off his chair. Currently, we or a friend help him put his chair in the bed of the truck. Not yet 100% independent but working on it. I think the lowered trucks for the young guys are the way to go.
    If your son is working or going to school has he contacted Vocational Rehabilitation to assist him with modifications to his truck? There are wheelchair lifts that mount in the bed of the truck & operate by remote control either wired or wireless & there are also truck caps that can be automated to raise n lower to keep his chair dry in inclement weather.
    There are also motorized seats that can move in & out from the drivers position to raise n lower him to or up from the ground & in & out of the truck. One company that comes to mind is BRUNO. I don't know if you or your son are aware of what I mentioned above. It's a really, really cool system. If I were a pick-up truck owner the above system is what I would want but I drive a lowered floor mini-van w/electric side door & power folding wheelchair ramp.

less is best.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    im a younin,18, lookin to start driving in southern florida..... where do i start... is it easy,what devices should i use,,,,
    any comment is perfect....
    thanks,
    woody.....
    It is a little tougher to start driving now then years ago. If you already have your license, it could be as simple as installing a set of hand controls in your vehicle and start driving. I am guessing that now you will have to take the drivers road test using the controls to get a license. Is very easy after you know how to operate the controls, go for it!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!