Thread: t5- t6 questions

t5- t6 questions

hi im new to this. im a t5-t6 incomplete , 6 years post. i have more movement on my left side but more feeling on my right. i can move my toes on both sides, and have different leg movement depending on the position im in. for example i can lift my left knee up while laying down, i can move my ankle when i have my knee to my chest and when sitting i can lift my legs up. i also have pulses run down my leg that feel like a burst when they reach my feet. my legs most of the times feel like there burning or with pins and needles. my question is does anyone else have something similar to this

Hi,
    Welcome.
    I think you will find this to be pretty common. A friend of mine who is a C6 has the same feelings.
    I am a T5 complete and go through a lot of the same. My chest are in a constant state of pins and needles and it drives me up the wall. My shirts rub the chest hairs and reminds me I have feeling there. I am not supposed to feel anything below my T5 but I swear my feet are on fire from time to time. Also my butt - now that one bugs me.
    Geoffrey

Thoracic injuries are weird and I'm not convinced that doctors really understand them very well. My injury is at t8-9. I have more strength and feeling on my left side. I am in constant, intense pain in my mid-back, rib cage, abdomen, and (sometimes) chest. Sometimes it hurts so bad, I can't get a deep breath of air into my lungs. Also, coughing, sneezing, or even laughing hard can be excruciatingly painful.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

hey, thanks for the info. actually when i first had my accident the doctors swore i was complete, but i pretty much feel everything from my injury down , just in patches. i even feel the vibration of sound on my legs like when something drops or a loud sound, its like my legs get startled, lol..but about the pain i really have none, just the pins and needles in my legs and mainly in my feet. i just get confused how im able to move different body parts in different positions.

Quote Originally Posted by eric180 View Post
    hi im new to this. im a t5-t6 incomplete , 6 years post. i have more movement on my left side but more feeling on my right. i can move my toes on both sides, and have different leg movement depending on the position im in. for example i can lift my left knee up while laying down, i can move my ankle when i have my knee to my chest and when sitting i can lift my legs up. i also have pulses run down my leg that feel like a burst when they reach my feet. my legs most of the times feel like there burning or with pins and needles. my question is does anyone else have something similar to this
    Eric I have the same pulses run down my leg that feel like a burst when they reach my feet, but I can not move any thing, I am a T3-T4 complete and have constant pain that never stop from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep both nerve and phantom as well.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieP View Post
    Eric I have the same pulses run down my leg that feel like a burst when they reach my feet, but I can not move any thing, I am a T3-T4 complete and have constant pain that never stop from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep both nerve and phantom as well.
    Stevie, I'm curious...where exactly is your pain located? Do you have pain in your rib cage?
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Quote Originally Posted by Danine View Post
    Stevie, I'm curious...where exactly is your pain located? Do you have pain in your rib cage?
    Danine,

Yes I do have nerve pain just under my right arm that goes to the center of my chest and it is nerve pain that I can touch. The pain that goes to the legs I can not touch (phantom Pain) I also have phantom pain that feels like somone has just kicked me hard in the groin and also like I am sitting on a 2x6 piece of wood that is on end and that really hurts, but again it is just phantom pain.

If I stop taking the Neurotin or the Methadone it gets real bad, wish their was a way to take care

Phantom pain is a term that should be restricted to amputees who get a sensation that their missing limb is still there and/or is hurting.

Hyperesthesia (or hyperaesthesia) is a type of neuropathic pain that causes the area to be abnormally sensitive to any touch or stimulation. It is common a type of radicular pain (pain that follows a particular dermatome) and is common in SCI at the level of the body where sensation changes from normal to impaired or absent. Allydonia is a type of hyperesthesia where you have pain that is felt in response to stimuli that normally doesn’t hurt (such as clothing touching an area of skin).

Neuropathic pain below the level of sensation in someone with a SCI is not phantom pain. It is neuropathic pain below the level of injury. It is real pain (as is phantom pain), but the latter term often leads physicians to treat it as if it were "all in your head". It is not. It is in your spinal cord, and it is real pain. Other terms used are central pain or neurogenic pain.

Neurontin, Lyrica, and tricyclic antidepressants (imipramine, etc.) are the most commonly used meds for neuropathic pain. Mexilitine is also sometimes used. TENS should also be considered and tried. Narcotic help some, but for many they just sedate them and reported pain is still the same. Tramadol is one option that helps many. You may want to check out our pain forum for more information on this.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD that was something that I did not know, but it does make sense I just called it all Neuropathic pain and made the difference in the fact that I could touch one and not the other. Actually I can, if I shave my chest at my injury level (with an electric shaver) I can feel it all the way down to my toes, it does keep the hair from rubbing my clothing and also causes an over stimulation of the nerves and kills the pain to some degree for a while.