Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forteo

Question Forteo

Doctor prescribed Forteo after seeing my bone density results. Did a little research here before asking this questions, and I see that many of you took, or are taking it now. I have never heard of this prescription before today, so I am a little wary. I am wondering what your experiences have been since taking it. Do you feel or see any side effects with it? Thanks.

Is that the injection? I had so many osteoporosis treatments a few years ago that I forget which is which... I had a daily injection for a time and also a tablet which had to be taken first thing on an empty stomach with a glass of water... whatever the case, I had no trouble with any of the treatments I tried! (also had something IV but forget what it was called). I made improvements although I did have a combination of treatments so not sure which was more effective.

I'm having a bone density next week. The SCI dr. stated that the bone loss pills will do nothing for osteo in the legs as that happens pretty early post. He suggested the IV if i have any sign of osteo in my spine.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

i take Fosomax - a tablet one/week. it hasn't reversed the osteo that i have (in legs and hips) but it hasn't got any worse in the past 4 years so my doctor considers that successful.

I've tried all the above but the IV one. I'm still snap, crackling and popping way too often. dash.

I take Fosamax once a week, and i take a calcium vitamin called citrical. That plus loadbearing exercises has made the osteopenia in right hip go away, and kept the left hip stable, meaning it didnt get worse. I continue to stay on it and have been for about 3 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    i take Fosomax - a tablet one/week. it hasn't reversed the osteo that i have (in legs and hips) but it hasn't got any worse in the past 4 years so my doctor considers that successful.
    Im glad you are having good results with fosomax. My Dr. recommends Forteo for 2 yrs then Reclast injections once a year after. Reclast is fosomax. I am not sure about these drugs especially forteo side effects,bone cancer is one. May I ask how old you are and how long injured. I am now 50(not in menapause yet) 32 yrs injured.good luck i look forward to hearing from you.shirley

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I've tried all the above but the IV one. I'm still snap, crackling and popping way too often. dash.
    May I ask what level your injury is and if you are complete or incomplete and if you do and weight bearing. thanks shirley

Quote Originally Posted by Chelley03 View Post
    I take Fosamax once a week, and i take a calcium vitamin called citrical. That plus loadbearing exercises has made the osteopenia in right hip go away, and kept the left hip stable, meaning it didnt get worse. I continue to stay on it and have been for about 3 years now.
    Also, what kind of load bearing do you do? shirley

Quote Originally Posted by inscrutable View Post
    Is that the injection? I had so many osteoporosis treatments a few years ago that I forget which is which... I had a daily injection for a time and also a tablet which had to be taken first thing on an empty stomach with a glass of water... whatever the case, I had no trouble with any of the treatments I tried! (also had something IV but forget what it was called). I made improvements although I did have a combination of treatments so not sure which was more effective.
    What is the IV you are talking about? Shirley