Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I had started to wonder if I could ever work on cars again..

Nice work! Low to the ground and no fenders goes a long way, eh?

I made some progress putting it back together. My father stopped over and I asked him to do the final toque on the head bolts. My back was getting pretty bad. The top left attachment point on the rods has always given me trouble.
    Andrew

Smile Great job!

I was an Automotive Engineer early in my career. When I first had my accident (1/24/79 - T6-7), as soon as I got out of rehab, I decided I needed a project.

I torched the nose off of a '73 Vega, and put in a 400 small block with a turbo 350 auto. It took two months, along with on and off help of a friend, but it worked out just fine.

Here's a tip. With the hood off, and the rear raised to the sky (I had a rear axle lift that could go about five feet), the nose on most cars can go low enough for pretty good access.

My last project was in 2003. I bought a Honda Element (suicide doors make pulling a chair in and out a piece of cake). The 4WD was great, but it was a little difficult for me to make the transfer (OK, I'm old, and fat!). I designed an air suspension conversion that dropped the whole vehicle about 5 inches, and convinced a local shop that they could do it. This makes for an easy transfer. Just hit the button, and it comes back to road height in about 9 seconds.

I have 112k on the car now, and am looking to do a driver's rear suicide door on a Ford Fusion Hybrid. The same shop is willing to give it a go.

Cools stuff!

I finished up and it's working well. So far for the quarter mile it's done a best of 12.9 at 106 MPH but it was super hot here and the track prep wasn't good. So there's more in it yet!

Andrew