Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I had started to wonder if I could ever work on cars again..

I had started to wonder if I could ever work on cars again..

Hey for a long time after I was injured I had a turbo Dodge and it was terrible to work on. I could hardly reach anything from the chair. I often wonder if I'd ever be able to do much on cars again. But I thought I'd let any other para hot rodders out there that the C4 gen Corvette works pretty well! I have an '88 and look what I did without getting out of the chair:

That's just from reaching over. I have in the past had to sit on the tire but that's actually pretty comfy. Throw a pad down and put your feet on the chair. I'm changing out the stock heads for better flowing units.
    Andrew

The tilt front is definitly a plus to access the engine compartment. Were you able to lift the heads off yourself or do you have a lift that you use for heavier objects? I can understand aluminum heads being easier than cast iron. Good job Andy!
    If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

It has aluminum heads and I was able to lift them off OK. I think the intake base weighs a little more then a head.
    Andrew

I'm glad you got to do something you're passionate about.It's an awful feeling to be robbed and to get some of that life back is an awesome feeling.Keep it up!

Damn, I'm jealous. If I could do that I would totally get a Corvette like that but unfortunately it takes a little effort just for me to hold a wrench. Looks like you're going to have some fun with that thing. Let us know the quarter mile times when you're done.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Stock it ran a 14.2 and with the large tube runners I installed a few years back it ran a best of 13.223 at 102.3. When I pulled the drivers side head there was a washer stuck in the intake valve. So it could have ran a better time. I'm a noob at drag though! Road courses being my fav:

http://vimeo.com/4363678
    Andrew

This is really cool...... I have always enjoyed working on cars.. My jealousy is starting to kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulScream View Post
    Stock it ran a 14.2 and with the large tube runners I installed a few years back it ran a best of 13.223 at 102.3. When I pulled the drivers side head there was a washer stuck in the intake valve. So it could have ran a better time. I'm a noob at drag though! Road courses being my fav:

http://vimeo.com/4363678
    C'mon,I'm a girl and I know you've gotta get better than that time!Was that in 1/4 mile?I hope it's not the car ,but you've just gotta get better w/ the tree.

I use to drag,it was so much fun!Seems it would be really difficult to get a good start w/ hand controls though...

Yes in the quarter. My R/T was good which won't affect the outcome of the time slip, it would only matter at a RSD type event (real street drags). I did cut a 1.86 60' on street tires which is pretty good. The hand control does well! This car is an '88 so not as fast as the new ones. I think with the new heads and intake it will run mid 12's. I'd really like to put in a better cam but can't right now.

It's just nice to actually be able to accomplish something with it. My other car I couldn't reach over the fender to get at the engine.
    Andrew

There is a para that lives by me, he runs his own auto body and classic car restoration business. He does all the work by himself. He has built a lot of old mustangs, some have been featured in magazines. I need to go over to his shop and see how he has stuff setup so he can work on stuff. The guy who built most of the tools he uses runs a manufactuaring company making sheet metal brakes and what not. He lost his son about the same time this guy got hurt. So he took him under his wing and helped him out tremendously. I guess he has a hoist to move himself up and over the hood's of cars. Hopefully I can get over there and get some pics of how he does stuff!!
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA