Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: need to purchase bed and chair for my brother

The Crossfire AT can be customized, but it can be a very difficult chair to push and may not work well indoors. It might be worthwhile to check out the Roughrider. I don't have any first hand experience with it, but I read here that some have been distributed in Iraq.

http://www.whirlwindwheelchair.org/newsnotes-spr09.pdf

http://www.whirlwindwheelchair.org/n...middleeast.htm

I use bicycle tires with tubes. Cheaper, easy to find and get somebody to work on. They are the fat tires you speak of. I think. How is your brother's sore? Do you have bicycle repair places anywhere near your brother?

I bought my kuschall chair for $800 on ebay. There are lots of reasons ppl sell used equipment. Ppl die, ppl recover. My chair was a demo. Try to get a narrow chair, much easier in places w/ tough access. Have your bro sit up, measure his width from side to side. That is the width of chair he needs. Paras seem to use narrower chairs, I think. I don''t know if he'll need armrests in the long run but they are good on a 1st chair. While he is seated get the measurement from his behind to just below his knees. I'd take off an inch or a half-inch and use that for the seat depth measurement. His skin will always be fragile where the sores are/were. This means cushions are important for him. I'd suggest a hi-profile roho (also can be patched w/ bicycle tire patches.)

Folding chairs are rarely as easy as they look. Has your bro gotten stronger?
    Last edited by betheny; 04-24-2010 at 04:04 PM.

NWC4,
    thanks for the link and the offer. I purchased for him the ROHO air cushion but he never used it because he like to sit in his old chair with toillet seat. however, I would be more then happy to pay the cost of shipping and donate to many people who in need.
    in fact this is great idea to open the invitation to any body who have extra items that willing to donated to the victims of terrorist attacks in Baghdad. I am working in Baghdad and have network of friends who can deleiver the items to people. I am already doing this for Iraqi childern with staffed animals and used clothes but it would be much better if we can help the handicapped. currntly they getting no medical attention or help from any body. I can always document the gift by pictures and send them to the donor.

my mailing address is:

Alasadi
    HQ USF-I IO
    APO, AE 09342

and I am willing to help in the shipping cost as well.

Thanks again

SCI OTR,
    thanks for your comment, I search the internet but could not find the place that sell this chair. please provide me more info about where to purchase it
    Thanks

Beth,
    I was searching ebay but I have hard time to understand and know which brand to purchase. in fact I just did search for the roughrider but no luck

Quote Originally Posted by salasadi View Post
    SCI OTR,
    thanks for your comment, I search the internet but could not find the place that sell this chair. please provide me more info about where to purchase it
    Thanks
    I don't know that it is even sold individually. From what I've seen, the Whirlwind Roughrider is simply provided to persons who need it in the countries where they have established operations. They rely on donations and the use of inexpensive, durable, materials to keep their production costs low.

Dr. Sadick Alsadir, President of the Joint Iraqi Development and Unity Foundation (JIDU) in California is listed as the Whirlwind contact:

325 Stanford Avenue
    Menlo Park, CA 94025
    Sadick@Mac.com
    www.jidu.us

Yes, I already emailed him and hopefully he response to my email. I really liked this design and I think this is the best for Iraq but I am disappointed if this products not for sell.
    I am sure there is samilar product out there.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by salasadi View Post
    Yes, I already emailed him and hopefully he response to my email. I really liked this design and I think this is the best for Iraq but I am disappointed if this products not for sell.
    I am sure there is samilar product out there.
    Thanks
    It seems that this wheelchairs are being distributed in Iraq right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzoJZ...layer_embedded
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Jesus said to him, “I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -John 14

Just reading through these posts and feel that any basic cushion would be better than sitting on a toilet seat. I guess you mean ring/donut shape but either way this can be very bad for the bottom as it interferes with blood flow and healing. SCI nurse/ OTR are better placed to comment. A horse-shoe shape would be slightly better with the open part at the back but not ideal. If he gets very uncomfortable he need to change position more frequently and if transfers or leaning forward are hard a tilt in space wheelchair that will allow him to reclining back,tillt seat will allow him to change position and therfore weight shift easier.
    ROHO cushions can make you feel unsteady and a jay is sturdier and offers good relief.
    I know in Uk some people use a large wheeled trollly bed that they lie face down on while waiting on sore to heal and wheels are big enough so person can push themselves.
    Goodluck.
    Last edited by noirin's mum; 04-26-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: clarify message

Hi Salasadi,

I finally got around to sending the ROHO Enhancer cushion I mention. I hope you can find someone that will put it to good use.

Blessings