Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Accessible Suburban Project

I put my GMC Sierra on bags and I have been having a lot of trouble with it. I keep getting airleaks and I have to keep taking it back to the shop.

I originally had the Easystreet Air Ride System but had too many problems with it. I called several different shops here in Cali and they all said that the system is new and has a lot of glitches. Are you using the lines the kit came with or are you going to use hard lines? I am having all my stock airlines switched out to hard lines.

This past weekend I was driving back from Glamis pulling a 25' trailer and lost all 4 airbags at once. The truck slammed to the ground, broke my drive shaft into 2 pieces. Luckily no one was hurt and I was able to pull over to the side. Turned out that the company put the compresser in the front near the engine and the main line got to hot and popped. I will post pics later today.

Quote Originally Posted by POPO367 View Post
    I put my GMC Sierra on bags and I have been having a lot of trouble with it. I keep getting airleaks and I have to keep taking it back to the shop.

I originally had the Easystreet Air Ride System but had too many problems with it. I called several different shops here in Cali and they all said that the system is new and has a lot of glitches. Are you using the lines the kit came with or are you going to use hard lines? I am having all my stock airlines switched out to hard lines.

This past weekend I was driving back from Glamis pulling a 25' trailer and lost all 4 airbags at once. The truck slammed to the ground, broke my drive shaft into 2 pieces. Luckily no one was hurt and I was able to pull over to the side. Turned out that the company put the compresser in the front near the engine and the main line got to hot and popped. I will post pics later today.
    An air suspension system is only as good as the installation. Glad no one got hurt. Sounds scary.

I'm running push connect DOT fittings with DOT 1/2" flexible air line. Hard lines are too hard to work with and difficult to seal unless using compression fittings, but compression fittings can only be used once.

A mistake that a lot of installers make is using Teflon tape instead of a fitting sealant like Loctite 545 on the line fittings. Teflon is a lubricant (not a sealant) and allows the tapered threads to be overtightened.

Get a bottle of soapy water and go over every fitting until you find all the leaky ones. Finding leaks can be painful but worth the effort.

Good luck!

Push connect Fitting.

Loctite 545

Time for an update!

Installed the front height sensors.

Tacked the bracket in place and snapped a center line.

Drilled and tapped two mounting holes.

Trimmed and rounded the corners and secured with 1/4 20 bolts.

Now the front is complete!

Put in some time last night after work on the rear bags and finished plumbing the air lines to the manifold.

Attached a schrader valve to some line and bench tested the rear bags for leaks with soapy water.

Drilled a hole with a hole saw in the upper spring perch and used a cutoff wheel to trim the rest for access to the air line fitting. Mounted the bag and ran the line.

The shocks allow the rear end to drop farther than the bags can extend so I ordered a pair of 18" limiting straps to attach to the shock mounts.

Finished running and securing the lines to the manifold.

Next is to run the electrical, modify the exhaust over the rear end housing, and install the rear height sensors (once the straps come in). Getting closer!

The height sensors? Stupid question,,,,,, are they suppose tell you the height on each corner? If so where will you see that?

That has been one of my problems, I never know when I am level, I have the air pressure digital gauges but those are not that accurate. I was running an Easystreet Ride System that would level out the truck (on preset) but we had a lot of trouble with it. I called around to other known custom car companies ( West Coast Customs) and they also said that they have been having problems with it.

The height sensors? Stupid question,,,,,, are they suppose tell you the height on each corner? If so where will you see that?

That has been one of my problems, I never know when I am level, I have the air pressure digital gauges but those are not that accurate. I was running an Easystreet Ride System that would level out the truck (on preset) but we had a lot of trouble with it. I called around to other known custom car companies ( West Coast Customs) and they also said that they have been having problems with it.
    Each wheel has a height sensor connected to a control panel that automatically sets the height to 1 of 3 presets. So after the presets are calibrated, the ride height will always be the same for that particular preset. You can also config a preset on start up. Pretty nice because the ride height will always be the same - no need to watch the gauges and inflate each bag.

Control Panel.

WOW no safety glasses on your boy I had a friend lose his eye that way, sorry but soon as I opened this post I was shocked and all i could think of.

Mooner

Quote Originally Posted by Mooner99 View Post
    WOW no safety glasses on your boy I had a friend lose his eye that way, sorry but soon as I opened this post I was shocked and all i could think of.

Mooner
    Safety is my #1 concern, especially with my boys. The sander (not grinder) had a wore out piece of 180 and was dialed down to a very low RPM.

No worries.

I run 1/2 Hydrolic hose for my airline. Never blew a line on my truck yet and it's been bagged 4 years.
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

Anyone want to stop by and help with the wiring?

Lifted the main fuse box to tap into a "key hot" wire. Note: the labels on the fuse box lid are not correct. Took me forever to locate the proper wire.

The 5 wiring harnesses, that need routed to the rear, need lengthened by about 8 feet. Also, there's not enough room to run the wires under the burb without dropping the gas tank (one would think that there's plenty of room with a vehicle this size) so I'm running them inside the cab.

Drilled two 1" holes (didn't have any 2" grommets) for the harnesses to enter the cab. Behind the rear fender well there are 2 more holes where the wires exit.

I started extending the harnesses last night but ran out of solder.