Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Accessible Suburban Project

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    Scott, if your serious, I use to get under my jeep all the time. I put the unilite at chair height throw an exta cushion on it, transfer and ride it down to the ground and transfer onto a creeper. Then you can grab various things under the jeep and pull yourself around. BTW I've been thinking a lot lately of converting one of the new 4 door jeeps.
    That's actually not a bad idea! I still can't get under the hood though. Hmm...

I just need a shop.

I've been thinking about the 4dr JKs as well, actually. Drop me an email if you feel like kicking ideas around. scott.pruett@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    Loose, I had my 2001 Silverado bagged and drove it for about five years, I had the big bags on all four corners. Mine sat almost on the ground and the front tires barely rubbed on the top of the inner fenders. The most important thing is the bump stops. Make sure your truck will still roll if you lose a bag or line. They'll wear out and I had brackets bend and even tear off the frame. I lost a line on my right front once cruising down the highway and to say the least it was hair raising. It might be different/safer with the shockwaves though. After that I always kept a spare length of air line and cutter with me.
    Do you have any pics of the Silverado?

I agree with your point on setting up the suspension to allow the vehicle to roll when aired out. Air bags are extremely reliable (big rigs have used them for years) when installed correctly but you one can never be too careful or prepared.

I have never had any problems with my bags on my silverado. If i did i'd be screwed since it lays frame but I also ran hydrolic line for my airline so it's very durable. Trucks been bagged for over 3 years. Also helps when you own a business that does the work.
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

Quote Originally Posted by LooseCannon View Post
    Do you have any pics of the Silverado?

I agree with your point on setting up the suspension to allow the vehicle to roll when aired out. Air bags are extremely reliable (big rigs have used them for years) when installed correctly but you one can never be too careful or prepared.
    These are the only ones I could find:

yeah as long as your comfortable with losing one at speed. I often worried about the possibility when cruising at 90. When it did happen, it scared the crap out of me but the truck didn't lose control like I thought it would and I was able to safely pull over.

Finally installed the drop spindles and new rubber on the wheels (2009 Suburban take-offs)

Off with the old

and on with the new

Now the whale sits at a 6.5/7.5 drop when fully deflated with 265/60/18. The fender to floor measures 29" in the front and 30" in the rear. Ride height should be approximately 2" higher.

I don't know if you can tell from the last pic but now the rearend is pushed over to the passenger side by 1/2" due to the panhard bar being too short for the amount of drop. I'm shopping for an adjustable panhard bar or maybe a Watts link.

With the additional drop transferring and getting the chair in/out is MUCH easier. It's amazing what a couple inches will do.

I'm also kicking around the idea of lowering the seat 1" to make transferring even easier (not getting any younger).

I'll try to post the seat to floor height.

I forgot to mention that the bags for the rear were too big (8" diameter) and rubbed the spring pocket.

After contacting Tony @ A.R.T he sent me the 2500's (6.5" diameter) and they fit perfectly!

I gotta give props to A.R.T and especially Tony. Not only do they make awesome products but their customer service is top notch!

I wish I still had my finger ability so I can still work on cars, after all, that's all he ever did for a living before I got hurt. Even graduated high school with $18,000 in automotive scholarships. Then I can help my friend build his Challenger drag car. I remember back when I was 17, we used to go to the illegal drags with that thing when it was still somewhat normal. That was all sorts of fun
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I wish I still had my finger ability so I can still work on cars, after all, that's all he ever did for a living before I got hurt. Even graduated high school with $18,000 in automotive scholarships. Then I can help my friend build his Challenger drag car. I remember back when I was 17, we used to go to the illegal drags with that thing when it was still somewhat normal. That was all sorts of fun
    I hear ya. Not having finger movement (only tenodesis) is one of my biggest obstacles when working in the shop. Just the simple things like turning a ratchet or running an impact with one hand while holding a wrench in the other are most times impossible or very difficult. Or oh how I miss being able to work a paint gun with one hand! I usually find ways around these "inconveniences" but it takes me 10x longer to do stuff.

Though, as much of a pain as turning wrenches and building things are, I LOVE IT! and will keep on trucking until 6 feet under

Just have a adjustable panhard bar made. Had one made for my truck. Get rid of those stock wheels and get some 22's!!
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05