Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Accessible Suburban Project

Talking Accessible Suburban Project

I purchased this burb in Feb due to my expanding family (3rd boy is due in August). A Tahoe or Yukon was my first choice but decided they didn’t offer enough room for our needs: 3 kids, 2 adults, wheelchair (I’m C6-7), 90lb Rottie, luggage/cargo/misc, so I settled on a Suburban.

Obviously the biggest obstacle with a SUV is transferring and getting the chair in/out. In addition to lowering I wanted to maintain a nice, comfortable ride so I opted for air bag suspension using Air Ride Technologies CoolRide for the rear, ShockWaves for the front, and LevelPro BIG RED MAX for air management. Basically, I'm replacing the torsion bars and coil springs with fully adjustable "air springs".

Based on measurements I need 6 1/2" drop in the front and 8" drop in the rear to transfer and get the chair in/out. The ShockWaves will give me 4 1/2" + 2" drop spindles for the 6 1/2" drop in the front. The convoluted airbag will provide the 8" drop in the rear.

Here's how it looked when purchased. It's a VERY clean 05 - 29,000 miles, previous owner, leather, front buckets, bose audio, etc..

I started on the front by removing the torsion bars, shocks, bump stop cups, trimming the corner of the bump stop brackets, shortening the sway bar end links 2 1/4" and drilling out the end link nut to accommodate a 3/8 bolt. From GM the bolt/nut is 9mm and the ShockWaves came with a replacement (shorter for the shortened end links) but it was the wrong size. I didn't have any 9mm hardware laying around but did have a few 7" 3/8 bolts and nylock nuts that worked perfectly.

Here are a couple pics...

Before removing the bump stop and trimming the corner

After

Shortening the end links and drilling the end link nut/cap

Drilling the end link cap

ShockWave installed on passenger side

Drivers side

Tie rod and sway bar are close (about 1/4") but they're not touching

Had to throw on a wheel to see how it looked . The drop spindles are not yet installed so the front is sitting 4 1/2" lower. I'm hoping that the additional 2" won't be needed so I'm going without the drop spindles initially.

Now that the front air springs are installed I focused on installing the bags in the rear.

Bags assembled and ready for install.

After installing the passenger bag I noticed the top of the mounting stud was hitting the floor so I pulled it and removed 2" from the stud

My oldest, who is 4, "working with daddy in the shop"

Front and rear bagged and off the jack stands

Total drop in front is 4 1/2" and 6" in the rear. I was able to transfer in/out OK but getting the chair in/out was tough so I'll go as planned and order drop spindles to lower the front another 2". Removing the bump stop brackets (bump stops are already in the trash) will get me another 2" approximately in the rear. I might also remove the running boards to get the chair a couple of inches closer to the seat...

Still have a lot of work to complete : mount the tanks, compressors, valves, run the lines, shorten the rear sway bar end links, install drop spindles, etc...

Stay tuned!!

Awesome work LC.
    It looks like you have a nice looking shop and quite a few projects lined up. Are you doing a lot of this work yourself? How are you managing if you don't mind me asking?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Jesus said to him, “I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -John 14

Quote Originally Posted by ac06 View Post
    Awesome work LC.
    It looks like you have a nice looking shop and quite a few projects lined up. Are you doing a lot of this work yourself? How are you managing if you don't mind me asking?
    x2 on the question of how you're managing this... you doing all the work?

nice work so far. I'll be watching this thread

Quote Originally Posted by ac06 View Post
    Awesome work LC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    x2 on the question of how you're managing this... you doing all the work?

nice work so far. I'll be watching this thread
    Thanks!

Scott - At one time weren't you building a Jeep?

So far my fantastic wife has helped with putting on the wheels (they are too heavy to lift) and my 4 year held a wrench on the rear top shock mount nuts while I loosened the bolts with an impact (his little hands were the perfect size)! I've been able to do everything else.

Working on the front wasn't too bad because most of the work was done while sitting in my chair. I was on the shop floor for the majority of the work on the rear. I use a plastic stepping stool to transfer from chair to floor and back up.

The blue and white truck is the next project: a 71 Chevy C10 long bed that will be bagged on 20's and converted to a short bed. I also have a 66 SS big block Chevelle.

Yup, still have the Jeep. It required a considerable amount of extra custom fab work... totally different project, much of which I couldn't do on my own (cutting, grinding, welding, bending... not to mention using a shop that I don't have ).

Kudos on doing the majority of the work on this stuff though! It's a darn good feeling. I can't even figure out a way to do an oil change anymore & it bums me out.

The C10 & Chevelle have solid potential...

Nice! I had a bagged and bodydropped burban few years back. You need to run 22's on the 71 and bag it out! i've been looking for early 70's burban to bag and use as a hauler for my rugby stuff
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

Quote Originally Posted by MotoRacer598 View Post
    Nice! I had a bagged and bodydropped burban few years back. You need to run 22's on the 71 and bag it out! i've been looking for early 70's burban to bag and use as a hauler for my rugby stuff
    22's do look good when tucked! I'll probably go with 20's or maybe a 20/22 combo on the 71 though because I prefer more than a 35 profile tire.

I too would like to build a 69 - 72 burb someday.. they look sick when layed out!!
    Last edited by LooseCannon; 06-03-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Or maybe go more unique and shorten a burb to a 115" wheelbase. You don't see many 69 - 72 tahoes

I love the older ones!! I know someone who shortend a Excursion and make it a 2 door few years back.
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    I can't even figure out a way to do an oil change anymore & it bums me out.
    Scott, if your serious, I use to get under my jeep all the time. I put the unilite at chair height throw an exta cushion on it, transfer and ride it down to the ground and transfer onto a creeper. Then you can grab various things under the jeep and pull yourself around. BTW I've been thinking a lot lately of converting one of the new 4 door jeeps.

Loose, I had my 2001 Silverado bagged and drove it for about five years, I had the big bags on all four corners. Mine sat almost on the ground and the front tires barely rubbed on the top of the inner fenders. The most important thing is the bump stops. Make sure your truck will still roll if you lose a bag or line. They'll wear out and I had brackets bend and even tear off the frame. I lost a line on my right front once cruising down the highway and to say the least it was hair raising. It might be different/safer with the shockwaves though. After that I always kept a spare length of air line and cutter with me.