View Poll Results: Which do you prefer voicemail or text?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • T3xting all day

19 22.89%
  • Please leave a message

35 42.17%
  • Doesn't matter

18 21.69%
  • I don't even own a cell phone

7 8.43%
  • Why bother when you have Facebook?

4 4.82%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Don't bother leaving a message" - Texting vs. Voicemail

I only check my voicemail when it fills up, and then- only to clean it out.

It's just a longer process to find out the intent of the caller.

Dial voicemail
    enter code
    (delete old voicemails that lead up to new message- unless you neurotically empty vm box on a one by one occurrence) (oops caps lock)
    listen to message
    delete
    hang up
    call person back

When I see that someone called on my missed calls list, I usually just call them back when applicable- message or not. Why would I want to do all that nonsense when it's just one button to return the call?

I have a PDA phone, but I know people that have even the cheapest metro phones, and texts usually pop right up on the screen-you can't miss them. I know for my voicemail reminder, there's only a teeny envelope in the corner- maybe it's because the service provider wants you to text since it's a paid option? who knows?

I do know that a text is a direct message that pops up when I look at my phone- I don't think there is a much more direct way to contact me other than slapping me in the face with a trout.

and btw, texts are brilliant things if used right in a broad range of situations. Ex: Your best friend's hubby is going to the store, and she's chasing 2 kids around and doesn't have time to make a list. Soloution: This biotch in the wc who can't as easily tackle the 4 year old is going to text the list to him while he's en route. And that doesn't even count the abilities to send a discreet message to see if someone is awake after, say 1 in the morning without disturbing a household. (notthatI'veeverdonethat,I'mjustsayingit'sanexampl e.)
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

How about this? People who insist on being contacted one way, get rid of your cellphones altogether. You think you'd be fucking grateful someone likes you enough to even contact your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    How about this? People who insist on being contacted one way, get rid of your cellphones altogether. You think you'd be fucking grateful someone likes you enough to even contact your ass.
    lol

having a rough day kitten?

I partially agree though, who INSISTS on anything nowadays (other than there never being raw onions anywhere near my food?)

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    lol

having a rough day kitten?

I partially agree though, who INSISTS on anything nowadays (other than there never being raw onions anywhere near my food?)
    No, I just fucking hate demanding people. You know those assholes who think dining out needs to be a perfect experience and looks for any opportunity to annoy the waiter and get a free dessert?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    No, I just fucking hate demanding people. You know those assholes who think dining out needs to be a perfect experience and looks for any opportunity to annoy the waiter and get a free dessert?
    Damn, you are spot on regarding this persona! This same THIRTY-ONE YEAR OLD WOMAN who sent the e-mail blast advised on her Facebook page that she would delete any "friends" who didn't respond to comments on her page. Alas, some peope think they are more important than they really are. Back to topic....

Someone who wont check their vm because they think their time is too precious is a self- absorbed asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy View Post
    Damn, you are spot on regarding this persona! This same THIRTY-ONE YEAR OLD WOMAN who sent the e-mail blast advised on her Facebook page that she would delete any "friends" who didn't respond to comments on her page. Alas, some peope think they are more important than they really are. Back to topic....
    No way! That is so obnoxious! I couldn't imagine anyone doing that until now.

My preference for texting has nothing to do with my time being valuable.

There are several steps to listening to a voicemail including a password. By that time, I could have already called the person back and spoke to them. Usually, I just call people back that have called me whether they leave a voicemail or not unless I just don't want to talk to them.

I would much happier if there was just a button on my phone to hear my vmail without listening to the verizon voice....LOL

I have a "smartphone" although it is quite stupid and stubborn at times. It is easier to text than a regular phone. My plan is unlimited since my daughter sends 6000 texts a month for $20

I think the whole vmail issue with me is that mom is always leaving messages for me not to forget to do something that I did three days ago. Did I mention she is 2500 miles away? I still love her though
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    It's just a longer process to find out the intent of the caller.

Dial voicemail
    enter code
    (delete old voicemails that lead up to new message- unless you neurotically empty vm box on a one by one occurrence) (oops caps lock)
    listen to message
    delete
    hang up
    call person back
    one reason visual voicemail is great.

here's the iphone's vm screen:

yes, i agree texting is faster & has its place... but... yeah.

^Scott, I'd probably agree that your voicemail is far superior to mine, but as I just plunked down 400 duckets on a brand spankin new Treo two months back, an iphone is not in my future and I'll probably just stick to my rotten voicemail habits.

Also, I might add, my friends have all caught on to my habits, so when I actually do check my vm a week or so later, the messsages are usually them singing bad versions of songs or jokes or random things that they know will be totally stupid and weird to hear 7+ days later. This is actually more worthwhile in a barrage than in one-offs, so for me- I consider it a win-win.